What's new

[DSL-AC68U] WAN connected, clients can't connect to WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DD_Middle_Branch

New Around Here
I've had a TP-Link DSL router operating for years, having used it as a replacement for the stock Verizon DSL modem/router. I decided to move to the DSL-AC68U for its built-in OpenVPN and greater configurability than the TP-Link. The TP works just fine, but has limited access to configuration items such as firewall rules, and no OpenVPN. The 68 model is getting on in years...but there doesn't seem to be an abundance of DSL solutions out there.

I found a new one on eBay for an OK price, and it arrived a couple days ago from Italy. By all appearances it is a brand new unit.

I've been having trouble with loss of internet connection, however. It connects to WAN fine, including being able to access the firmware server, and performing test pings to major domains. But clients can't see the internet, neither wireless nor wired.

I've read some threads on here, and tried some of the tricks. For example, I did a cold restart, and changed the DNS to Google, then back to auto.

Right before the cold restart, I noticed a little lock icon in the connection status box - blue body with a yellow shackle. It was gone after the cold start, with everything else about the same. So, whatever that means...

Oh, current firmware: 3.0.0.4.384_81981. I suppose trying a downgrade might be an option - but which one?

So my ultimatum to you, fine SNB members, is give me some suggestions, or I take it out back for target practice:D

...actually, I did register it with Asus for warranty, so I guess I'd be up for a replacement if they offer one.

UPDATE: It occurred to me that when I updated to the FW mentioned above, I did not do the factory reset. So I did one, which restarted the "Quick Internet Setup" process. It became hung when detecting the DSL connection, so I cancelled, re-did the SSID's and credentials, and then manually configured the DSL paramters from the WAN tab.

Presto!

Now let's see how much uptime we get.

As a side note, with further searches here, I ran across the thread by @GNUton about his custom DSL-AC68U firmware. Might try that at some point, especially if this latest success is short-lived.

THEN if that don't work... target practice.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!