What's new

DSL-AC88U Alexa issues? DFS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carnagerover

Hi all,

I recently purchased this router as it has a built in VDSL modem with G.inp and for the future G.fast to use with my isp BT in the U.K. I had left the wireless to the default settings and I noticed this morning that my Amazon Echo said it was connected to the 2.4ghz however it would respond to commands but it didnt seem to have an internet connection, wouldn’t play anything from Spotify or if I asked for a morning briefing it would say he’s the weather then stop.

I moved the 2.4ghz to 20mhz instead of the default 20/40mhz and I also turned off airtime fairness as that seemed to cause issues from a quick google search. It’s working now, could those have been my issues?

Also I noticed that some of our devices like Amazon Prime tabs and the Echo can’t see the 5ghz network, that is currently on channel 100 which is a dfs channel, is that the issue, they can’t use high channels?

Thanks for looking.

Also I noticed that some of our devices like Amazon Prime tabs and the Echo can’t see the 5ghz network, that is currently on channel 100 which is a dfs channel, is that the issue, they can’t use high channels?
I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. I have an Amazon Fire TV Stick and that can't even see channels 12 and 13 on 2.4GHz, despite being made specifically for the UK market! I also have a new Hisense TV (UK specific) that can't see DFS channels on 5GHz.

From what I have seen on the Asus forums there seems to be issues with this router and 2.4ghz losing connection like I have experienced.

My only other real option is the TP-link VR2800, I think it uses the same Broadcom chip but a different modem. Maybe has better firmware however.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!