1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

DSL-AC88U Alexa issues? DFS?

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Carnagerover, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Carnagerover

Carnagerover Senior Member

Hi all,

I recently purchased this router as it has a built in VDSL modem with G.inp and for the future G.fast to use with my isp BT in the U.K. I had left the wireless to the default settings and I noticed this morning that my Amazon Echo said it was connected to the 2.4ghz however it would respond to commands but it didnt seem to have an internet connection, wouldn’t play anything from Spotify or if I asked for a morning briefing it would say he’s the weather then stop.

I moved the 2.4ghz to 20mhz instead of the default 20/40mhz and I also turned off airtime fairness as that seemed to cause issues from a quick google search. It’s working now, could those have been my issues?

Also I noticed that some of our devices like Amazon Prime tabs and the Echo can’t see the 5ghz network, that is currently on channel 100 which is a dfs channel, is that the issue, they can’t use high channels?

Thanks for looking.

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. I have an Amazon Fire TV Stick and that can't even see channels 12 and 13 on 2.4GHz, despite being made specifically for the UK market! I also have a new Hisense TV (UK specific) that can't see DFS channels on 5GHz.

3. Carnagerover

Carnagerover Senior Member

From what I have seen on the Asus forums there seems to be issues with this router and 2.4ghz losing connection like I have experienced.

My only other real option is the TP-link VR2800, I think it uses the same Broadcom chip but a different modem. Maybe has better firmware however.