What's new

DSL-AC88U - Firmware maturity question and stability vs DSL-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stagger321

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

I am in the market for a new decent modem router. Something which s future proof to some extent.

My choice is somewhat limited, as I need one with integrated modem and it must support a VPN Client for paid VPN service (not specifically VPN Server - although that also may be useful at some point).
I was heading in the direction of the Netgear D7800 Nighthawk, until I realised it can only support VPN Server, not client.

Ideally I'd buy a Modem and a separate OpenVPN/DD-WRT compliant router and tweak to my hearts content, but I really don't have the real-estate for both (according to the wife :/).

Reading into the many pages and pages of reviews and support threads on both these server, it seems to me they all have their own issues (vs the equiv RT w/o modem routers), and the newer AC88U has the most.
WIFI connectivity, memory leaks etc.

However the DSL-AC68U, while more stable, is a much older unit - nearly 5 years old - eek - which is like an age in IT terms.

Is that fair comment? Can the DSL-AC88U be trusted enough with the latest firmware, because I don't like putting my eggs into an old router's basket (AC68U), to find it goes EOL at some time soon - with limited support and no firmware upgrades.

Thanks

Stagger.

Hi.

I am in the market for a new decent modem router. Something which s future proof to some extent.

My choice is somewhat limited, as I need one with integrated modem and it must support a VPN Client for paid VPN service (not specifically VPN Server - although that also may be useful at some point).
I was heading in the direction of the Netgear D7800 Nighthawk, until I realised it can only support VPN Server, not client.

Ideally I'd buy a Modem and a separate OpenVPN/DD-WRT compliant router and tweak to my hearts content, but I really don't have the real-estate for both (according to the wife :/).

Reading into the many pages and pages of reviews and support threads on both these server, it seems to me they all have their own issues (vs the equiv RT w/o modem routers), and the newer AC88U has the most.
WIFI connectivity, memory leaks etc.

However the DSL-AC68U, while more stable, is a much older unit - nearly 5 years old - eek - which is like an age in IT terms.

Is that fair comment? Can the DSL-AC88U be trusted enough with the latest firmware, because I don't like putting my eggs into an old router's basket (AC68U), to find it goes EOL at some time soon - with limited support and no firmware upgrades.

Thanks

Stagger.
Classic example of purchasing paranoia. My personal preference is to keep modem and router as two separate devices. This way a change in ISP is child’s play. I went from DSL to cable with zero router changes.

You really should consider newer routers because they will be internally faster, have more memory, and typically will have a longer useful life. Product bugs happen though it should work out of the box. I returned a Netgear after three days and multiple bugs. I am very pleased with my ASUS which runs at 2% cpu usage though it had a bug in a feature that ASUS resolved.

Be warned that the DSL-AC88U does not run Asus's usual Asuswrt, but some variant of it.

a member here built a working Merlin-fork for his DSL-AC68U, you could ask him how reliable it's running and if he will share his firmware.

Classic example of purchasing paranoia. My personal preference is to keep modem and router as two separate devices. This way a change in ISP is child’s play. I went from DSL to cable with zero router changes.

You really should consider newer routers because they will be internally faster, have more memory, and typically will have a longer useful life. Product bugs happen though it should work out of the box. I returned a Netgear after three days and multiple bugs. I am very pleased with my ASUS which runs at 2% cpu usage though it had a bug in a feature that ASUS resolved.
Re - Purchasing paranoia, well yes, maybe, except reading feedback from, for example, Amazon purchasers of the DSL-AC88U (from users who know their way round networking products - not just the newbies) there are plenty giving very negative reviews, vs reviews for the older DSL-AC68U, hence my post.
If it wasn't for these I'd be a no-brainer and'd already have pulled the trigger on the new model.
I already stated I can't have the separate units, due to space limitations.

a member here built a working Merlin-fork for his DSL-AC68U, you could ask him how reliable it's running and if he will share his firmware.
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware that anyone had been able to get alternative merlin based builds on the integral modem units.
That may change my buying decision, in that I may end up initially getting an old DSL-AC68U to test this on (assuming he is willing to share), just in case it gets bricked.
Can take it from there afterwards and maybe upgrade to DSL-AC88U at a later date.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware that anyone had been able to get alternative merlin based builds on the integral modem units.
That may change my buying decision, in that I may end up initially getting an old DSL-AC68U to test this on (assuming he is willing to share), just in case it gets bricked.
Can take it from there afterwards and maybe upgrade to DSL-AC88U at a later date.
I think it is better not to touch DSL-AC68U escpecially in UK, many got unsolvable issues on their line as BT is brewing their own soup.
Much more info is found here: http://whatsyourrouter.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=6
I had no troubles in my country with this modem, as good as provider modem, but had to change because of vplus which wasn't supported.
DSL-AC88U seems to have more adequate DSL-chipset for UK, only they still not solved memory leak, but thats only matter of time and new firmware to overcome this.

If you could get a cheap used DSL-AC88U would be the prefered way to go in my opinion if you are living in UK!

OK. Thanks for the advise.
Yes, the memory leak on the DSL-AC88U is the one I had seen was still causing issues.
I'm sure it will be resolved at some point, but who knows when.

OK. Thanks for the advise.
Yes, the memory leak on the DSL-AC88U is the one I had seen was still causing issues.
I'm sure it will be resolved at some point, but who knows when.
They are on a good way with stable beta.527, now needed to secure the WAN-bugs, but think its done next 1-2 months.
I wouldn't be worried about as they confirmed the bug and working on it.
Seems there are no used offers, on "great river" for 210GBP and if you have any problems send it back in time.

OP,
Stay away from the DSL-AC68U as this router is notoriously unstable in the UK, especially on vdsl2 (FTTC) Openreach based lines. This router is well known to cause frequent disconnections and will almost certainly cause the FTTC DLM to band your line which can be almost impossible to remove. This is all due to the horrible Mediatek DSL chipset it uses.

However the DSL-AC88U uses a newish Broadcom DSL chipset so *should* be better but I've heard of mixed stories so its a risk you're taking with this also.

TBH, if I was in your shoes I would just buy a RT-AC86U and hook that up to a VDSL2 modem such as Draytek 130 or Huawei HG612 and it really is a simple and rock solid solution despite being a 2 box setup. If VPN wasn't important I would recommend the Netgear D7800, the TP Link VR2800 or the Billion 8900AX all of which are top class modem routers but none of them support a VPN client service.

EDIT: It seems The Billion 8900AX does support a VPN client service over OpenVPN so that's probably your only option if you're looking for a 1 box solution. Billion routers are rock solid (usually Broadcom dsl chipset based) and won't give you the same issues as the Asus modem routers, ie DSL variants.
http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13259

Last edited:
Thanks for that psychopomp1.
You've got me thinking.
I googled the Huawei HG612 and it's similar to the so called super-router that my ISP (Talktalk) give out. It's an Huawei HG533. I just pulled it out from my lift where it was gathering dust.
I had dismissed it as it had WiFi dropouts when i used it last and only fast ethernet ports.
But if I use that for the fibre connection and a RT-AC86U for the rest then I could be in a good shape.
I think the AC86U supports VPN client.
Both the Huawei and the AC86U stand vertically, so physically may fit the space I have available.
I may have the option to change the HG533 for a new HG633, so will contact Talktalk.
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah if your TalkTalk router supports bridge mode (modem only mode), then you could hook up an Asus RT-AC86U to it. Otherwise a Huawei HG612 vdsl2 modem can be bought for only £10 on eBay.

OK. Ta.
Pulled trigger on RT-AC86U - as Amazon have it at £160 today, so pretty good price IHMO.
Awaiting HG633 in post.
Early Christmas :)

Memory leak should be fixed with new beta DSL-AC88U_v9.10.06_build585.zip including latest wifi-drivers and patches found in whatsyourrouter forum.

UPDATE: DSL-AC3100_v9.10.06_build585.zip BETA for DSL-AC3100 released too!

Memory leak really seems to be fixed now!

Last edited:
Hey guys,
Thanks for all this information! I am actually going through the same thought process... But I am wondering... Would you think the dsl-ac88u ever support Aimesh?
I am trying to simplify the amount of boxes I have and am planning for scalability too.
Asus support mentioned there are no plans they are aware of yet but not sure if anyone else would have more info...

Would you think the dsl-ac88u ever support Aimesh?
I am trying to simplify the amount of boxes I have and am planning for scalability too.
Asus support mentioned there are no plans they are aware of yet but not sure if anyone else would have more info...
DSL-AC68U supports Aimesh now since 384_21126, but you have to know only in router (modem) mode, not as aimesh-node, so no problem for you I think as you want to use it as modem(router) in first place to your line.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!