What's new

DSL Bridged Modem and Access to Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Laxarus

Regular Contributor
I have been struggling with this problem for some time now and couldn't get it to work. Any help would be appreciated.
I have a DSL router where phone line connects to the modem. This modem is set to bridge mode where NAT, DHCP and pretty much everything disabled. (TP-Link Archer VR600 v2)
LAN Port 4 of this modem is connected to the WAN port of my ASUS RT-AC5300 (Merlin firmware) router where it establishes PPPoE connection with my ISP. WAN IP settings of the router is below.
My modem Local IP is 192.168.0.1 with 255.255.255.0 subnet.
I can access my bridged modem control panel by typing its IP address from my LAN.
My problem is since the modem is behind the WAN port, it cannot access internet. Like using a NTP server or getting auto firmware updates. I cannot even connect the local NTP server from the modem.
I tried to add a static route to my router but it still didn't help. How can I do this any advice?

upload_2019-10-7_14-3-16.png

upload_2019-10-7_14-12-33.png

I wouldn't expect anything different, you either have router mode or modem mode.

In bridged/modem there is no time server etc. they are bypassed or turned off , the device is not acting as a router.

Remove the static route, it's not doing anything.

If you want internet access and your modem really is bridged then set the WAN IP to automatic. You won't be able to access the modem like this though - that is normal.

Remove the static route, it's not doing anything.

If you want internet access and your modem really is bridged then set the WAN IP to automatic. You won't be able to access the modem like this though - that is normal.
Setting WAN IP to automatic doesnt do anything other than rendering the control panel inaccessible. I might try to make a Vlan and seperate port 4 and and DSL line then run a lan cable to switch to see how it goes. I am just afraid that this will make some loops and network storm.