What's new

Dsl modem in bridge mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lazydrunksmurf

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

My understanding is that merlin does not support dsl (?) reading some other threads (those threads are more technical than I am so maybe I have misunderstood something).

Just to confirm though, if you run your Dsl modem in bridge mode, is that supported with merlin?

Currently, i have Dsl and cable. Looking to ditch the cable for cheaper Dsl (but if this doesn't work I won't).

I am seeing:
1. I can use Asus merlin WiFi but it is very slow. When I use cable it is much much faster. Through Asus WiFi I can get about 35 down if using cable (avg over many tests). If using dsl I can only get about 5-10. Wired cable averages 45, wired dsl is 50 constantly. All testing done on a single laptop so the device is constant across all tests.

2. I can connect to VPN when I use cable, it connects but the internet doesn't work when I use dsl. Selective routing through vpn is set up and works perfectly with cable.

Thanks! I know some of this may have been discussed before but I an getting confused reading!

The short answer is NO Merlin does not support the DSL modems/Router even if it's in bridge mode.

Just to confirm though, if you run your Dsl modem in bridge mode, is that supported with merlin?

Currently, i have Dsl and cable. Looking to ditch the cable for cheaper Dsl (but if this doesn't work I won't).
I'm not sure I'm following what setup you have.

If you are asking whether Merlin's firmware is supported by loading it onto a DSL/wireless router (like the DSL-AC68U) then as @jim769 said this is not supported.

However if you are talking about 2 separate devices, like for example an ISP-provided DSL/wireless router in bridge mode with an Asus router (like a RT-AC68U) connected to it, then this is supported. [But you would need to know things like the modem's username, password, etc. to authenticate with the ISP] There have been a couple of threads about using Sky modems with Asus routers.

Colin,

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I have. I have a Dsl modem (smart rg 505) and an Asus 66u (not 68). I want to use the Asus for two things:

1. To provide normal (and fast :)) wifi in the house. Wifi works with Dsl supplying internet to router but it is slow through Asus.

2. Selective routing of a device through vpn connected via Ethernet to the Asus router. This is working just fine with cable but not with Dsl.

I have neither of these problems with cable, have both problems with Dsl.

I have the user, pass and it is in the dsl modem. I have not put it in the Asus because I figured I would have no internet at all if authentication failed (I have slow internet through it).. should I?

I don't really understand what you mean when you say "it is slow through Asus" and "I have slow internet through it". So I'll ignore that for the moment.

First I would suggest that you take a backup of your current configuration on the Asus. That way whatever changes you make to it can quickly be reversed out, putting you back where you were. Do the same for the smart rg 505 as well if that's possible.

Then I suggest that you just try it. Put the modem into bridge mode. Connect the Asus' WAN port to the modem. Log onto the Asus and perform a factory default reset. When the Asus boots up it should go through the auto-configuration process where you can give it the details of your internet connection.

If you can't get it to work, just reload the Asus' saved configuration and reboot (after plugging it back into your cable modem). You should be back where you were.

Thanks. I was referring to this comment. If I wire connect Dsl modem to laptop I have 50 down, 10 up. If I then hook up the Asus to the dsl modem and connect to the wifi through Asus I only get 5-10. The comment below also contains a few other tests I did.

"I can use Asus merlin WiFi but it is very slow. When I use cable it is much much faster. Through Asus WiFi I can get about 35 down if using cable (avg over many tests). If using dsl I can only get about 5-10. Wired cable averages 45, wired dsl is 50 constantly. All testing done on a single laptop so the device is constant across all tests."

I will try what you suggest. Maybe this auto configuration is set up properly for cable and that is what is causing me grief trying to flip to Dsl.

Sorry, I was out of town for a couple of days.

I reset the router, no luck.. still only getting max 15 down if I am lucky. It's usually closer to 4 down.

On my laptop I have tried several versions of the driver for my wireless... No use.

I plugged cable back into Asus and it's fast.

I disabled wifi on all other modems and routers, no use.

I tried various channels for the 2.4 GHz which is all that is supported on my laptop. Installed tool recommended by rmerlin called inssider to view channels used around me.

Ethernet from Asus to laptop is fast and gives me the full promised Dsl speed.

On my cell phone on the 5g band seems better at about 30 down. 2.4 gives roughly (but slightly better) results as the laptop described above.

I am not sure what else to try! But, VPN is working now (was an ISP issue).

The short answer is NO Merlin does not support the DSL modems/Router even if it's in bridge mode.
what are you talking about do you even know what bridge mode is, in bridge mode the modem acts like pass though device with no routing capabilities, and merlin supports the router.

If it's a DSL router/modem then its not supported bridge mode or not.

If it's a DSL router/modem then its not supported bridge mode or not.

If you read the OP it is clear there are a modem and a router , the router has Merlin installed and running so surely it is not a modem/router .

It would help if the OP posted the exact model number of his router.

If you read the OP it is clear there are a modem and a router , the router has Merlin installed and running so surely it is not a modem/router .
I disagree. I don't believe it was clear, hence the reason I asked him to clarify it in post #4.

It would help if the OP posted the exact model number of his router.
If you read the OP's reply in post #5 he does clarify his setup and states the model numbers of both of his routers.

Guys,

Thank you for taking the time to help me here and sorry if I was not clear. One thing I want to mention that I didn't before is that I am right next to the set up when testing this physically-> there is nothing in between us, if I was any closer I would be sitting on top of the device I am testing.

There are always two devices involved: an internet source (cable or dsl modem) + asus ac1750 getting internet from one of the two internet sources. If I am doing a test with a single device (asus does not work without one of the other devices as an internet source, I will state "No Asus" below- the purpose of these tests is information gathering. I have run new tests and some of the figures I post below may vary slightly from what I said before. My purpose right now is to try to summarize the problem so it is less confusing.

I am comparing two set ups in an effort to ditch my cable internet for a cheaper dsl option. DSL is rated at 50/10 and I am getting this wired through the dsl modem directly as well as through the asus router (but only in the wired case- I am getting very slow speeds with wifi only).

I don't know the cable modem model off hand but this is my good scenario.

Case one (good):

Cable modem (with wifi capability) is the internet source for my asus ac1750. I want to use the asus wifi (well in this case I don't care as the cable modem has good wifi capability but i did it for a more solid comparison) and asus merlin vpn selective routing capabilities.

Cable modem direct ethernet connection to laptop (no asus right now for a test): 40-55 mbps down, 8-15 up.

Cable modem direct 2.4ghz wifi (laptop does not support 5) to laptop (no asus right now for a test): 40-45 mbps down, 7-10 up.

ASUS router (internet source cable modem) wired to laptop: 40-55 mbps down, 8-15 up.

ASUS router (internet source cable modem) 2.4ghz wifi to laptop: 35-45 mbps down, 8-15 up. (so a bit of a drop but not terrible).

Case two (bad):

DSL modem (with poor wifi capability) is the internet source for my asus ac1750. I want to use the asus wifi and asus merlin vpn selective routing capabilities.

DSL modem direct ethernet connection to laptop (no asus right now for a test): 50 mbps down, 10 up.

DSL modem direct 2.4ghz wifi (laptop does not support 5) to laptop (no asus right now for a test): 10 mbps down, 5 up (it is known that the wifi capability in the modem is not good so I don't really want to bother with this.. the modem just happens to have wifi built in).

ASUS router (internet source DSL modem) wired to laptop: 50 mbps down, 10 up.

ASUS router (internet source DSL modem) 2.4ghz wifi to laptop: 4-15 mbps down, 2-8 up. (massive drop in down speed, it is usually closer to 4mbps).

Things tried:

-disabling wifi on surrounding devices with wifi capability.

-tried various channels. looked at neighbors wifi using tool suggested by rmerlin in another post.

-tested speeds on my cell phone as well. With DSL modem->asus, I have slightly better results on wifi 2.4 on my cell phone than the laptop. 5ghz is better.

-deleted wifi profiles from devices and reconnected.

-reset the asus router so it could "autoconfigure" as suggested in a previous post.

-Installed various versions of the driver for my wifi on my laptop. Didn't really find one version was better than another.

I have a pretty new version of merlin installed and now the router is telling me a newer version is available. I generally avoid updates when things are working well (they are with cable but not with dsl). I am new to this stuff and i have read that downgrading the firmware is hard (so i have no rollback strategy). So, I am a bit hesitant but if you guys think there are fixes that will help I can try it I suppose.

Ok. There's lots of new information in there.:rolleyes: But in summary: everything works as expected in every combination except the Asus' Wi-Fi is impaired when it is plugged into the DSL modem/router (smart rg 505).

You've already stated that the 505 has Wi-Fi "issues". So I'd suggest that the 505 is causing RF interference which is impacting the Asus. If you haven't done so already, turn off the Wi-Fi on the 505 and see if that helps. If it doesn't then move the Asus as far away as possible from the 505 using the longest Ethernet cable you have, and test again.

Ok..thanks!

I have already disabled the WiFi on the smart rg dsl modem. I will try to move the asus far away tonight after work.

this appears to have helped! it's still not quite as fast as cable 2.4ghz but it is now at about 20-24 down.

I never even imagined I would need to have physical distance between the two since the WiFi on the modem is off!

That could suggest that the RG505 is giving off a lot of RF interference (aka noise). Which is probably why its own Wi-Fi is so bad!

It might be because the RG505 is just badly made with inadequate shielding. It might be badly earthed. Or it might have a faulty (or badly made) power adapter.

Interesting. Appreciate all your help and patience with me!

I an a little bit puzzled as to why it didn't slow my cable down though since I never turned it (rg505) off and all three devices we're right next to each other. I just moved one end of an Ethernet cable to switch setups...

Just another thought: Try swapping out Ethernet cables in case one of them is faulty. Make sure they a decent quality Cat5 cables rather than those crappy ones that come supplied with the router.