What's new

DSM 6 -- Convert to btrfs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
Is it worthwhile to convert my 2 3tb drives in my DS716+ to this new file format?
Also, anyone know a guide on doing this?

There is not any conversion tool. You must back up your files and recreate the volume choosing BTRFS, then copy back.
I personally own a DS1515+ and I am using BTRFS without any issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone has a hot-migration from EXT4 to BTRFS - in any event, if you have a working file system, best guidance is to keep things where they are...

Is it worthwhile to convert my 2 3tb drives in my DS716+ to this new file format?
Also, anyone know a guide on doing this?
I suggest reading the Synology user forum, in the Beta and New Releases section. Some comments on BTRFS. Mixed bag as I've read. And not supported on small NASes. Moreso, issues with being an early adopter of DSM 6, until the dust settles on Synology reinstating their Backup and Restore utility in DSM 6, as it had be unwisely replaced by their DBMS proprietary backup. Now they are reinstating it and giving a choice after a near mutiny. DSM 6 loses the Time Backup, my favorite versioning archiver. Same function but must use the new HyperV backup which is DBMS based and thus only BIG enterprise users want that.

So I'll wait a year on DSM 6, or more likely, get a new NAS (mine's 3 yrs old) from Synology, QNAP or ASUStor in all likelyhood.

BTRFS is still a bit experimental - I've been keeping an eye on the development, but not with an intent towards a production use - cool that Syno has deployed it, but I'll stick with the tried and trusted ext4 for now - it works, the flaws are known, and even then, most NAS boxes use Linux soft-raid (mdadm), so it's fairly easy to recover if things go bad with a raid-set...

Thanks for the feedback. I'll stick to the ext4.
What RAID setup would you recommended for a 2 drive bay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. I'll stick to the ext4.
What RAID setup would you recommended for a 2 drive bay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I elected to use no RAID in my 2 bay. Instead, I setup each drive as a separate volume. Volume 1 on drive 1 is the "main". All shares are on that volume, and exposed to the LAN. I use Synology's Backup utility to backup (copy) selected folders on the main volume to volume 2, on a time schedule. I also use Synology's Time Backup for VIP folders to be backed up to volume 2, and do so for the last 6 months of file versions.

RAID0, RAID1 to me are more risky than two volumes because I feel that human error and file system corruption more likely than drive failure. Of course, I use an external USB3 drive as the out-of-sight backup in case the NAS is stolen.

This is with DSM 5.x. The new DSM 6 came out with the two utilities mentioned above replaced with a DBMS oriented backup called HyperBackup or some such. After a loud outcry from users, the have partially reinstated the originals.