What's new

DST & Atlantic Standard Time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CaptainSTX

Part of the Furniture
I am currently running Merlin's latest (270.25 ) on an ASUS N66U. I have it set up to turn my radios off at 11PM and then on again in the morning.

I live in the USVI where we stay on Atlantic Standard Time year round. (GMT- 4)

After the recent time change I thought the router's clock was correct however, when I was working on line last evening my WiFi went off at 10PM.

In reviewing my time selection there are three options for GMT - 4. Two of the choices offer the option of manual DST and the third option doesn't offer the option and the time is one hour ahead of local time.

What I have had to do is select one of the GSM-4 options, select manual DST and set DST to run for just one hour on an arbitrary day. (23hr - 0Hr) My other option of course would be to change time zones during summer as AST corresponds with EDST.

Is there anyway to add a more straight forward option to the software just to disable the automatic shift to DST for those places that don't observe DST? I know my old Linksys 54G running stock firmware has this option.

Thanks.

I have been driving myself NUTS with this timing lark. Not trying to hijack the thread, just posting so you know you are not alone :). Using the Merlin 270.26b.

I need the time to be accurate so I can turn off the internet access for my (teenage - aaaahhh) children.

I am in London, England and am currently on GMT/UTC for a couple more days then it is DST. It is quite difficult to get the correct time (setting GMT in the UI does not always give the correct GMT time) and I have had to fiddle with the manual DST settings - which are less than intuitive (what is day '0'). When I do get the system time right, the time is off by an hour in the router logs. I am puzzled why there are two GMT settings and London is not one of them.

I would like to be able to set the time manually without any automatic NTP updating.

Regards

DrT

I would like to be able to set the time manually without any automatic NTP updating.

Can be done using the date command, with the following format:

Code:
date -s "2013-03-29 13:49:00"

Many thanks Merlin. That is the second time you have come to my rescue with a command line solution, is there a resource where I can get a list of commands that can be used?

DrT

Any reason why linkmaster's post has disappeared?

"Have you set the manual DST settings? , that fixes the hour out issues.

I use 0.uk.pool.ntp.org as my ntp server setting.

and

Month 3 Week 6 Day 6 Hour 2 as my DTS start Month 10 Week 4 Day 6 Hour 2 as my DTS end

for this year...so far time is correct".

Thanks for the info, but I don't have a '6' in the week dropdown box, only 1-5. I'll try it with a '5', but could you please confirm what you typed? The settings advance the hour by 1, so it is 22:00 approx now, and the system time is 23:00 :confused:. But at least the log timestamp and system time match :D.

Last edited:
Any reason why linkmaster's post has disappeared?

"Have you set the manual DST settings? , that fixes the hour out issues.
Hi,

The problem is the wrong DST implmentation in the firmware coming from ASUS. :(

Go for manual daylight saving time!
Code:
Manual daylight saving time settings for 2013 in Europe are:
DST start time: M3 month / 5 week / 0 weekday / 2 hour
DST end time: M10 / 4 week / 0 weekday / 2 hour

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Many thanks Merlin. That is the second time you have come to my rescue with a command line solution, is there a resource where I can get a list of commands that can be used?

DrT

No, because there's no simple list of commands - this is a full-fledged OS there (Linux).

No, because there's no simple list of commands - this is a full-fledged OS there (Linux).

Time to open my newly acquired 'Linux Command Line' book ;).

I have managed to get the time correct in both system time and in the logs by using the manual DST settings. But I think the DST settings are wrong too as the settings I have to not relate to the actual date/time DST came into effect. Also, some DST settings would put the log time-stamp out of phase with the system time.

Thanks for all the help and pointers.

DrT

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!