What's new

Dual-band N on the Cheap: D-Link DIR-628 RangeBooster N Dual Band Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
D-Link breaks the $100 dual-band draft 11n price barrier. But is the DIR-628 really a good deal?
[Article Link]

D-Link DIR-628 Antenna "Hack" Possible?

I read the review entitled, "Dual-band N on the Cheap: D-Link DIR-628 RangeBooster N Dual Band Router Reviewed" dated June 26, 2008 for the D-Link DIR-628 and noticed that even though there are only two external antennas, it has a third miniature internal antenna connector.

The DIR-628 is based upon almost the same Ubicom hardware (but slower processor) as the D-Link DGL-4500 Xtreme N Gaming Router, which has three antennas. Do you think it would be possible to drill a hole in the back of the router, install a third antenna and wire it to the extra internal connector to gain better wireless range? I don't see any obstructions on the back of the router that would physically prevent installing a third antenna. Is there more involved than just attaching an antenna (like firmware issue, etc.)?

And, yes, I'm aware that there are warranty issues and that this product is meant to be used with two antennas per its FCC certification.

I realize that there are better routers out there, but this may be a cost-effective way to add a single radio, dual band access point to an existing network.

From the same article, Figure 2 shows just a solder pad where the connector would be.

If I were trying to improve the range, I wouldn't add a radio with the same range as the other devices. Better to upgrade to a higher gain antenna, if the environment supports it.

So, there's no connector installed? I stop at soldering, even though it isn't all that difficult to do.

Wndr3300

In an article on WNDR3300 netgear router they complained of low throughput and range. I have no problem with mine at all. I tested my range and I can go 100 yards awat from the house and still have a great signal! seriously!! I have two wireless g, 2 wireless n, and 3 wired devices connected to it and it works flawlessly!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!