What's new

Dual Band Router Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SigEpStyles

New Around Here
Hi all -
New to the forum and have a couple of questions if someone has some time to help.

I just purchased a new wireless router (Belkin N600) and it has dual bands 2.4 & 5.

It has the option to name each band's SSID differently. I currently have them set to the same name.

Here are my questions:
1. If the components in my house are set to pick up and log into the SSID by default, will they automatically connect to whichever on is faster or less busy, or will they just log into one?

2. Should I be naming the SSID's differently and specifying which components connect to each one?

Does it make a difference?
For reference, here's what's accessing the router:
2 TiVo's
1 Logitech Revue
1 PS3
2 laptops

Thoughts? Am I overthinking this? If everything is working fine now, should I just leave it, or can I improve performance somehow?

Thanks.

In general, wireless devices aren't very smart about what they connect to. If your clients are dual-band capable, they will connect in the priority order set by their wireless connection manager if the manager has this capability.

If not, they'll connect in some unknown manner and continue to use that connection unless it is not there.

If you want to control the band that your devices connect to, and you will if you are trying to do media streaming, then give the SSID's different names and set the connection for each device as you desire.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!