Dual-Band Router with Tri-Band Nodes

AlleyCat

New Around Here
Hello everyone, I’m considering a 2-pack of AX92Us to replace a pair of AC86Us (configured as AiMesh nodes). The primary router is an AX88U. All nodes are connected to the AX88U via wired backhaul.

The AX88U is dual-band, whereas the AX92U is Tri-Band, so I’m wondering if both 5GHz radios (5GHz-1 + 5GHz-2) on the 92U nodes will be enabled after they’ve been meshed with my dual-band AX88U? If not, then there’s no point in me buying tri-band routers only to be used as dual-band mesh nodes.

Perhaps two dual-band AX58Us would pair better with the AX88U? Or possibly the AX68U or AX86U?

Any thoughts or suggestions graciously appreciated.

Last edited:

disjt

Occasional Visitor
This post mentions that using tri-band as the router and dual-band as the nodes will convert the whole mesh to dual-band. So I suppose dual-band as router and tri-band as nodes will produce the same result. I remember seeing other old threads on this that may confirm the dual-band router with tri-band nodes.

AlleyCat

New Around Here
This post mentions that using tri-band as the router and dual-band as the nodes will convert the whole mesh to dual-band. So I suppose dual-band as router and tri-band as nodes will produce the same result. I remember seeing other old threads on this that may confirm the dual-band router with tri-band nodes.
Ahh I should've followed up on that thread instead. I also read here that @Gustour meshed his AX88U router with two XT8 nodes over wired backhauls; thus freeing up the 5GHz-2 radios on the XT8s to serve wireless client devices. Perhaps Gustour could advise?

AlleyCat

New Around Here

This says a dedicated wireless backhaul will be established between a dual-band & tri-band node or router, that's nice
That's right, 5GHz-2 is used for wireless backhaul IF the child nodes are not wired to the parent router. So, I assume that if a wired backhaul is used instead, then 5GHz-2 becomes available for wifi clients to use, and that AiMesh enables all three bands, with the same SSID & Password; and that 5GHz-2 radios on the tri-band child nodes can be easily managed from a dual-band parent node.

minhgi

Regular Contributor
get yourself AX11000 to match up with the XA6100. Best combo tested. I use all almost different combination of asus arouter and aimesh.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!