What's new

Dual band wifi and battery life

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
I have just noticed that the ZenFone 7 can use both bands on my RT AC 88 U simultaneously. . So does using both bands simultaneously drain the battery faster than using just one band ? It really does improve the speed of the device but I hate charging them Ps if this is not appropriate for the SNB forum I apologise i do hope someone knows though . I have posted on the Asus ZenFone community forum to no avail so I thought I would try you guys

Last edited:
OP Just to clarify, you do mean DBS and not merely having the phone switch back and forth between 2.4/5Ghz right?

The Snadragon 865 can be paired with the QCA 6696 Dual Band Simultaneous (DBS) WiFi chip, even if Asus went BCM for WiFi I believe the latest BCM chips do support DBS as well. Not sure on battery life though could be similar assuming work gets done faster and both radios go back to sleep fast enough to compensate for added power draw or higher if there's significant interference on 2.4 Ghz... DBS has been advertised by both QCA and BCM but haven't heard of it being used in the real world though.

I suppose you could check android info section to confirm there's a second WiFi MAC address.

Last edited:
How can you tell this? It would have to have two radios.
It has a little toggle on the wifi settings that says, dual band wifi,, when you turn it on it shows connected to both bands and two of the little icons/signs that show that you are connected to the router appear at the top . It also says that by turning it on you can connect to both simultaneously. I think my old ZenFone 5z had the same thing but I can't really be sure

Last edited:
Thank you. I had heard of this capability awhile ago, but didn't know it had been unleashed on the real world. Do you see any advantages / differences when using the DBS mode?

OP Just to clarify, you do mean DBS and not merely having the phone switch back and forth between 2.4/5Ghz right?

The Snadragon 865 can be paired with the QCA 6696 Dual Band Simultaneous (DBS) WiFi chip, even if Asus went BCM for WiFi I believe the latest BCM chips do support DBS as well. Not sure on battery life though could be similar assuming work gets done faster and both radios go back to sleep fast enough to compensate for added power draw or higher if there's significant interference on 2.4 Ghz... DBS has been advertised by both QCA and BCM but haven't heard of it being used in the real world though.

I suppose you could check android info section to confirm there's a second WiFi MAC address.
yes I do mean DBS mode,I think I'll just have to do a bit of testing to see the effect on the battery

Thank you. I had heard of this capability awhile ago, but didn't know it had been unleashed on the real world. Do you see any advantages / differences when using the DBS mode?
I do think it's faster to do anything on the internet. It states that it helps a more stable network and increased band width

Last edited: