What's new

Dual Gateway Netgear X4S R7800 Firmware flash?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maximillion82

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I have an X4S with Voxel .67SF firmware installed.
I am trying to route some of the devices on my network through my https://privatevpn.com service and some directly without VPN.
For example, I want my work laptop to use the VPN service, but I don't want my Chromecast to use a direct connection.

I saw that Sabai Technology sells routers that are preconfigured for this. But since I already have the router I'd prefer to try this myself. I can always buy a new router from Sabai if I brick this one.
In order to achieve this, do I need to flash this router, if so with which firmware? After flashing, what settings do I need to make?
If I can do it with Voxel's firmware, how do I set it up?

I tried it so now the problem is that with Netgear an OpenVPN I am required to run a Tunnel script on the machine I am trying to run the VPN service on. In my case I want use it on my work laptop (which is no problem) but also on my chromecast (to watch US Netflix) which is a problem, because I cannot run any tunnel scripts on the chromecast. I do not want to use it on my personal phones and laptops.

Your just follow the instructions.
No need to run anything on chromecast.
If you reserve up for it, it should be no problem.
Or I don't I understand you, about the server.
Sorry if so.
Also I advice you to turn on dnscrypt 2.
Let's make it harder for NSA etc ;-)

Your just follow the instructions.
No need to run anything on chromecast.
If you reserve up for it, it should be no problem.
Or I don't I understand you, about the server.
Sorry if so.
Also I advice you to turn on dnscrypt 2.
Let's make it harder for NSA etc ;-)

The way you explain works for bypassing the VPN, the problem I have is that Netgear doesn't offer a VPN client they need a Tunnel software to run on the client that uses the VPN network, I found these instructions (https://www.myopenrouter.com/article/how-set-openvpn-client-netgear-r7800-voxels-custom-firmware), I will try to do that this weekend.

Is it possible to do the gateway the other way around, meaning:
All devices connected to the router use the none-VPN gateway. If I give them I mark them to use the VPN then they use the VPN. I am asking because I have 16 devices and I only want two to use the VPN and also because when guests connect to my WiFi I don't want them to go through the VPN.

You can easy set the wifi to go outside VPN tunnel.
Advanced Setup, VLAN / Bridge Settings,
Enable VLAN / Bridge Settings, By bridge group, wireless xxx, Apply.

And you don't need a tunnel software on your devices if they connect to the router with Voxel FW!
Once you enable the Voxel VPN Client all devices connected go through the VPN tunnel.
To exclude devices use Kamoj addon or Bridge setting as above.
For example, set a switch on lan port 3 and then all devices on that switch will bypass vpn, just by setting port 3 as Bridged.
Or wait for a future addon enhancement. ;-)

Last edited:
And you don't need a tunnel software on your devices if they connect to the router with Voxel FW!
Once you enable the Voxel VPN Client all devices connected to through the VPN tunnel.
To exclude devices use Kamoj addon or Bridge setting as above.
For example, set a switch on lan port 3 and then all devices on that switch will bypass vpn, just by setting port as Bridged.
Or wait for a future addon enhancement. ;-)

Ah I am not using LAN for any devices it’s all WiFi I know it’s not ideal for performance, but the router is quite stable.
Would it be possible to activate the guest network and only tunnel devices that are connected to the 5GHz guest network through the VPN?

For now you can not separate 5G and 5G-Guest nets.
It's Netgear stock design.
I don't have time for this change now. Sorry.

Maybe for a future Kamon addon if there is interest enough.
For the moment all my free time goes to try to learn trivial things like html, css, javascript, AJAX etc, needed for next addon.

I wish there were more people involved in helping Voxel.
Today people are not very supportive, and not even sponsor with a small but important donation.

Have great day and enjoy the short life we have!

For now you can not separate 5G and 5G-Guest nets.
It's Netgear stock design.
I don't have time for this change now. Sorry.

Maybe for a future Kamon addon if there is interest enough.
For the moment all my free time goes to try to learn trivial things like html, css, javascript, AJAX etc, needed for next addon.

I wish there were more people involved in helping Voxel.
Today people are not very supportive, and not even sponsor with a small but important donation.

Have great day and enjoy the short life we have!

Thanks, I wish you the same and thank you for the help. I will try my best. All the best with learning, I am in the same boat, learning Python in my free time. I hope things pick up with support, it's needed people underestimate the importance of a good router, and then complain why their fiber Internet connection is slow.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!