Dual Stack home network pros and cons

Treadler

Very Senior Member
I’m trialling IPv6 disabled just now.
I notice no difference at all in speed/utility.
Plus, I get to use Skynet the way it was intended. Interesting……

learning_curve

Regular Contributor
An interesting ‘happy eyeballs’ test for those on dual stack.

For me, it indicated IPv6 was only being preferred about 30% of the time.
FWIW I ran that test and (unsurprisingly, for me) out of 50 separate tests, it was 90.74% IPv6 and 9.26% IPv4

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
An interesting ‘happy eyeballs’ test for those on dual stack.

Thanks for the link. I'm 100% IPv6 here. (Ran the test for quite some time too). But do note I'm dual stack too.

learning_curve

Regular Contributor
Block Google/Facebook services and try again. It will be the opposite %.
:D :D I don't use Face 'Ache' Book nor any of Google's 'Steal Your Data' Services (they're both blocked in the various browsers I use (i.e. Safari & FireFox Preferences / Ad Guard / uBlock Origin etc) on all on MacOS and/or iOS devices. That includes all the ones that are present in this forum itself (have a look)

Tech9

Part of the Furniture
:D:D I use V6 most of the time, V8 on weekends and summer time.

Treadler

Very Senior Member
Block Google/Facebook services and try again. It will be the opposite %.
Interesting. Facebook totally blocked here, & Google tracking/ad stuff as well. May explain my results.:)
Im back on dual stack, best I’ve ever seen is 50%, but ‘normal’ about 30%.

FWIW, I’m finding this thread really interesting, all kinds of good knowledge & experience being shared!

Tech9

Part of the Furniture
Now you know about 50% of your traffic goes around AiProtection, because it's encrypted; 30-50% of your traffic is hard to control with the tools you have available; your devices can call Internet straight without prior notice or your permission. Your network is part of Internet now. Not exactly your network anymore. :)

Treadler

Very Senior Member
Now you know about 50% of your traffic goes around AiProtection, because it's encrypted; 30-50% of your traffic is hard to control with the tools you have available; your devices can call Internet straight without prior notice or your permission. Your network is part of Internet now. Not exactly your network anymore. :)
Aiprotect disabled here.
Yup, IPv6 NAT free.

Another thing is ‘happy eyeballs’ appears to be implemented differently depending on browser/OS.
In ‘Apple‘ world (my clients are all Apple), with dual stack, first to answer, IPv4 or IPv6 - gets preference.
Minimal automatic bias to IPv6 apparently, speed of response is everything. I’m happy with that……

Last edited:

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture

100 percent here...

MacOS 12.6 on my M1 Macbook Air...

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 7.09.55 PM.png

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
:D :D I don't use Face 'Ache' Book nor any of Google's 'Steal Your Data' Services (they're both blocked in the various browsers I use (i.e. Safari & FireFox Preferences / Ad Guard / uBlock Origin etc) on all on MacOS and/or iOS devices. That includes all the ones that are present in this forum itself (have a look)

With all due respect - this is out of scope

Privacy concerns with Facebook, Google, etc - good chance for another thread.

Just not here in the current conversation.

Treadler

Very Senior Member
With all due respect - this is out of scope

Privacy concerns with Facebook, Google, etc - good chance for another thread.

Just not here in the current conversation.
I think it was a response to post 285.

Treadler

Very Senior Member
100 percent here...

MacOS 12.6 on my M1 Macbook Air...

View attachment 44394
A bit of new information. The best I could ever get with this test was 50%. Normally mostly around 30%.
Using Quad9 DNS.

Changed DNS to Cloudflare, now pretty much 100% IPv6. I don’t why this should be, curious……:)