What's new

Dual Stack (IPv6): DNS for IPv6 is not my AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Snoopotic

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I figured out that in my dual-stack environment my Clients get for IPv4 my router's DNS IP but for IPv6 my Client's get the Providers DNS. My expectation would be to also get the router's IPv6 (the local one) for DNS. :/
I Use DHCP-PD and it works so far.
Also I set up DoT on WAN settings thus I would really appreciate to route DNS Requests through my Router...

Do I possibly miss a setting? Or is it maybe an bug?
Currently I am on 384.15

Thank you.

Posted this in the other thread too, but I'll post it again here for reference:

You need to edit your dnsmasq.conf file located in /etc/ with the ipv6 address you want to use. I had the same problem and making the change here resolved it.

The line that you need to edit is:

dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,[::]

replace the :: with the ipv6 address you wish to use for dns

Hi,

I figured out that in my dual-stack environment my Clients get for IPv4 my router's DNS IP but for IPv6 my Client's get the Providers DNS. My expectation would be to also get the router's IPv6 (the local one) for DNS. :/
I Use DHCP-PD and it works so far.
Also I set up DoT on WAN settings thus I would really appreciate to route DNS Requests through my Router...

Do I possibly miss a setting? Or is it maybe an bug?
Currently I am on 384.15

Thank you.

Maybe try this?
LAN > DNS Filter = enable
Global Filter Mode = Router
Leave user defined dns fields blank....:)

Your post is a bit confusing, are you perhaps confusing your providers DNS and your routers assigned IPv6 address? There's not really any issue for clients having their IPv6 DNS set to the routers public IPv6 address, requests are still passed through dnsmasq (or whatever you've set to handle them) on the router. You can see which IPv6 DNS servers your router is using in System Log > IPv6.

Your post is a bit confusing, are you perhaps confusing your providers DNS and your routers assigned IPv6 address?

Well, yes, I am confused. Maybe it's lack of knowledge...
The thing is - correct me if I am wrong,please:
All I know is that a (unix-like) dhcp-client (I run OS X) uses the information in /etc/resolv.conf to obtain the name servers.
This is my content:
Code:
nameserver 2a02:810a:xxxx::1
nameserver 192.168.1.1
So I understand: for each DNS query on ipv4 it asks my Asus first that then uses it's settings (which is DoT). For each ipv6-dns query it overrides and uses my provider's DNS..
Am I wrong?
Sadly I tried the Routers link local address (on br0) with the hint from @Phil Outram but this does not work. Although the dhcp sends this as DNS and my resolve.comnf gets well configured to this ipv6, this address seems not to have a DNS listener and times out ipv6 requests.
I also set and found the documentation regarding the info from @Treadler looks valid, but the resolv-conf entry also just does not get replaced...

SO yes, I am still confused. Imagine there is a world with only ipv6 and without IPv4 I cannot use DoT yet? :D

Last edited:
Sorry I made a mistake in my post above, forgot that changes to dnsmask.conf will be overwritten after a reboot.

You need to make a dnsmasq.postconf file and upload this to /jffs/scripts/ and then place the following into it:

#!/bin/sh
sed -i "s/dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,.*/dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,[insert ipv6 address here]/" $1

I could be wrong, but it looks like 2a02:810a:xxxx:xxxx::1 is your routers ip address, the best place to check would be the IPv6 Network Information page. If you do a nslookup on ip6-local.net and it gives fe00:: then you're using your router for DNS. If it's a non-existent domain then you're using your ISP or some other DNS server.

Last edited: