1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Dual wan anyone get it working with Reliability ?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Magnus33, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Magnus33

Magnus33 Regular Contributor

Have a primary cable and a dsl backup.

The AC86U is set to fall-over to the dsl if the cable goes down unfortunately this tends not to work worth a damn.
    If the cable goes down the router see this but never falls-over to the dsl.

If the ethernet unplugged from the cable modem it see this and falls over to the dsl at it suppose to.

For some reason the asus code seems to see the connection to the cable modem itself as a active internet connection even when the rest of the software is saying its down.

One would think it would be easy but it seems not for asus or possibly my brain lol.

2. skeal

skeal Part of the Furniture

Is this link aggregation you're playing with or something else?

3. Magnus33

No we are just talking dual wan here.

Two isp with a primary and a secondary that the router is suppose to fall over to when the primary internet fails.
    No load balancing just fall over and fall back .
    https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1011718

Should be a simple setup but asus seems to be very hit and miss with this actually working.

4. skeal

Try enabling network monitoring on the system admin page and use just a ping to an ip or url or choose both and set them up properly. It's worth a try it may help.

5. Magnus33

Already on :)
    I think Asus did most of there testing by unplugging the Ethernet cable which does cause the fall over but isn't terribly real world.
    Noticed this in every video review of this feature the cable would be unplugged rather then the internet disconnected from the modem.

Seems to be the one true failing for Asus that never been properly resolved.

Thanks for the help :)

6. skeal

May have something to do with link state or another feature built in that should be disabled.

7. Magnus33

Could be although this should be accounted for once this is used in other the firmware of the instructions.

Problem is its not the most demand or used feature by the average Joe so Asus has put little effort into it hence why no one seems to have been able to get it to work properly.

May have to slap together a pfsense box for the restaurant and use this for the personal network.

skeal likes this.
  8. TonyK132

TonyK132 Regular Contributor

Are you using stock ASUS or Merlin? What version?

9. Magnus33

Tried both stock and Merlin same results.

Given that Merlin confirmed he never touched dual wan i wasn't surprised of the results.

10. ccjj

ccjj New Around Here

Yes I thought it had been working reliably for a while, and it was working in basic format. However recently I have had some problems with the VDSL modem and I now cannot get the Asus 68U to switch at all, it is just stuck with the primary WAN in cold standby.
    Very infuriating! I think a hard reset might be needed!

11. Magnus33

its confusing communication with the modem as a active internet connection.

Either it just freezes and refuses to fall over or it falls over then it does the check on the primary and thinks the communication with the modem means its back up .

Asus seems to not care or doesn't know how to fix it for some reason.

ccjj likes this.