What's new

Dual WAN clarification

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davegr

New Around Here
Hi all,

Some time ago I bought an Asus RT-AC68U due to it's good wifi and Dual WAN capabilities. The Dual WAN feature which interested me the most was load balancing.

Since then I have found many deficiencies in the load balancing and quirks between firmware releases, such as:

- Older firmwares appear to handle load balancing differently to the newer ones. The old firmwares for example do not allow aggregation of the WAN connections during for example a speed test, whereas the newer ones do. However the newer ones were producing slow loading and sometimes no loading at all of web sites and assets making them near unusable.

- There are sometimes issues with incoming connections via port forwarding such that a device is only available via a particular WAN connection at any one time. The only way I have found around this is to use the Dual WAN routing rules to force a particular device via a particular WAN. The problem with this is that connections from that device will no longer be load balanced.

- Outgoing SSH connections randomly fail to connect unless the destination IP is assigned to a particular WAN with routing rules. Again, this means no load balancing of connections to that IP.

I have recently been looking at the Asus BTR-AC828. I see it's based on a different chipset and a few articles and YouTube videos have shown it aggregating two WAN connections in a different manner to what I am used to with Asus (e.g a speedtest shows the combined result of both WAN connections).

I wonder if anybody knows whether this means that the Dual WAN functionality of the Asus routers is all or partly down to hardware rather than software and I may have better luck with the BTR router?

Many thanks for any comments or advice!
Dave

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!