What's new

Dual Wan Failover - Individual WAN VLAN settings needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geobernd

Regular Contributor
I have been ripping my hair out for the last two hours or so (ok - not much hair left anyway...) and hope someone here is smarter than me:

I am trying to setup Dual WAN Failover (either the native Asus method or the Dual WAN Failover Script posted in another thread here).

My Problem is:
The regular WAN is Quantum Fiber which requires VLAN 201 (set in LAN-IPTV as Internet VID 201)
The backup WAN is Comcast - which only connect with no VLAN ID.

I can get one or the other working at a time by changing the VLAN ID in the LAN settings but not both...

I looked at the nvram stuff and figure out if there is a way to set it differently there but can always only find one interface reference:

With VLAN set
Code:
igmp_ifname=vlan201
wan0_gw_ifname=vlan201
wan0_ifname=vlan201
wan_ifnames=vlan201

With no VLAN set
Code:
wan0_gw_ifname=eth0
wan0_ifname=eth0

I see entries for wan1 but they don't seem to correspond to what I am using - maybe I am not looking right...

Hoping one of our great community here has come across this before (I tried search but came up empty) and has a solution. I am happy making a custom jffs script etc...

Just realized I forgot some details:
I am using a RT-AX86U running Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 and connecting one WAN on the 1Gig Port and the other one on the 2.5Gig Port...

I have been ripping my hair out for the last two hours or so (ok - not much hair left anyway...) and hope someone here is smarter than me:

I am trying to setup Dual WAN Failover (either the native Asus method or the Dual WAN Failover Script posted in another thread here).

My Problem is:
The regular WAN is Quantum Fiber which requires VLAN 201 (set in LAN-IPTV as Internet VID 201)
The backup WAN is Comcast - which only connect with no VLAN ID.

I can get one or the other working at a time by changing the VLAN ID in the LAN settings but not both...

I looked at the nvram stuff and figure out if there is a way to set it differently there but can always only find one interface reference:

With VLAN set
Code:
igmp_ifname=vlan201
wan0_gw_ifname=vlan201
wan0_ifname=vlan201
wan_ifnames=vlan201

With no VLAN set
Code:
wan0_gw_ifname=eth0
wan0_ifname=eth0

I see entries for wan1 but they don't seem to correspond to what I am using - maybe I am not looking right...

Hoping one of our great community here has come across this before (I tried search but came up empty) and has a solution. I am happy making a custom jffs script etc...

Just realized I forgot some details:
I am using a RT-AX86U running Asuswrt-Merlin 386.7 and connecting one WAN on the 1Gig Port and the other one on the 2.5Gig Port...
Are you saying you already tried assigning VLAN ID using IPTV Settings under LAN Tab? It sounds like you need to set it like this and reboot.

EDIT: FYI I'm the author of the Dual WAN Failover Script.

1656128968611.png

Last edited:
Thanks Ranger for the reply

Yes - I have assigned the VLAN ID just as your screenshot shows - the problem is it is then applied to the primary and secondary WAN and the secondary only works without a VLAN ID - but I think I just solved it for me:

On a hunch - after looking at the nvram variables again - and still only seeing the VLAN ID on wan0 - I switched the secondary WAN to Ethernet LAN Port 4 instead of one of the WAN Ports and it is working now: The LAN port does not get the VLAN ID applied so I get an IP Address and traffic flow when falling over.

Of course as you wrote in the script threat the ASUS failover/fallback did not work properly for me (no fallback) so I just installed your script and tested failover/fallback and its looking good!

I'll monitor for a little bit and do a couple more test today and will actively start watching the script thread.
Thank you for the great work

Yay - Connected:

Screenshot 2022-06-25 065818.jpg

Thanks Ranger for the reply

Yes - I have assigned the VLAN ID just as your screenshot shows - the problem is it is then applied to the primary and secondary WAN and the secondary only works without a VLAN ID - but I think I just solved it for me:

On a hunch - after looking at the nvram variables again - and still only seeing the VLAN ID on wan0 - I switched the secondary WAN to Ethernet LAN Port 4 instead of one of the WAN Ports and it is working now: The LAN port does not get the VLAN ID applied so I get an IP Address and traffic flow when falling over.

Of course as you wrote in the script threat the ASUS failover/fallback did not work properly for me (no fallback) so I just installed your script and tested failover/fallback and its looking good!

I'll monitor for a little bit and do a couple more test today and will actively start watching the script thread.
Thank you for the great work

Yay - Connected:

View attachment 42168

Can you post in that thread regarding your success with the script and what version you are running? Awesome!