What's new

Dual WAN issue on AX88U and 388.1 firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

miniracer

New Around Here
I've had the dual WAN (Comcast+ATT, Failover+Failback) configuration for a number of years without much trouble but it has not been functioning properly since the rain storm last week when the primary WAN (Comcast) went down.
It now seems to get stuck in the secondary WAN no matter what I do (rebooting, disabling dual WAN, etc).
The Network Map's WAN statuses are always incorrect too.
With dual WAN off, it shows that the internet connection status is disconnected - network is still up with traffic going to the secondary WAN.
With dual WAN on, it shows that the primary WAN is in hot-standby and the secondary WAN is disconnected - again, traffic still goes through the secondary WAN.

Screenshot 2023-01-07 172534.jpg

A look at the routing table shows that the default gateway always points to the secondary WAN (eth1) no matter what I do to the dual WAN settings:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1
10.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 br0
10.8.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 tun21
69.181.XXX.XXX 0.0.0.0 255.255.248.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

I'm about the do a factory reset but I wonder if anyone knows how to fix it or reset just the dual WAN settings?

Last edited:
Turns out that even a factory reset didn't work.
It looks like something got stuck in the router when Comcast was going up and down repeatedly around the new year.
The factory reset option wiped out the configuration but never actually rebooted the router. (Heck even the reboot button didn't reboot the router). I ended up needing to physically unplug the router and reload the settings to get it back to a working state.

In any case, there's probably a bug somewhere in the firmware caused by this rare dual WAN flipflopping.

If you haven't done so already, use the site search feature to search for past discussions on dual WAN and dual WAN fail over. You'll find that the fail over feature of the Asus (and Asus Merlin) firmware sometimes tends to not work right for some people.

If you haven't done so already, use the site search feature to search for past discussions on dual WAN and dual WAN fail over. You'll find that the fail over feature of the Asus (and Asus Merlin) firmware sometimes tends to not work right for some people.
I've had the dual WAN setup for 4+ years already with no major issues after several outages - until a week ago. So issues in previous discussions don't seem to apply here. The router simply got to a state that it wouldn't reboot even though the GUI made it look like it was rebooting. (my ssh session to the router remained active throughout the whole reboot/reset process)

I have the same issue (Failback not working) when I use USB ZTE LTE modem - for me status of the secondary WAN constantly switching between Connected and Disconnected with traffic passing through. Failback is working fine with Huawei LTE modem connected through Ethernet.

I just wanted to convey that with 388.1 firmware failback logic is working fine for me when secondary WAN is connected through Ethernet, but it is not working when secondary WAN is connected through USB. I have same failback settings in both cases.

You might want to check out this Addon:

I use it for controlled failovers - but typical use is for your scenario.
Many find it better than the built in Asus wan failover.