What's new

Dual WAN Issues (USB Failover) - What I've found

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jmone

Regular Contributor
I got a new 87U a month ago while waiting for my dead 68U to be replaced.

I was having probs with 5ghz on Merlin's 376.49_4 so rolled to the latest ASUS 3.0.0.4.378_3754 firmware which it is still currently on.

Today we had a Cable Outage so lost Internet. Not to worry, and I pulled out my 4G 320U USB Dongle and this is where the trouble started. I setup the router using the "Dual WAN" with the USB as the Secondary WAN in "Fail Over" mode. No amount of reading similar posts and twiddling got this working. I even tried two other USB dongles and then tethering an Android Nexus 7 2013. The 87U would see these devices just fine but not establish a connection.

As I was about to heave the thing over the fence, but tried turning OFF "Dual WAN" and just set the "Primary WAN" as USB.....and it just worked on both the 320U Dongle and tethered to the Nexus.

While it is not the end of the world to manually switch between the two WANs when the primary goes down, it would be good to have the Automatic Fail Over / Back working. One area I did not play with was the settings on Dual WAN page itself. All I had done was checked "Allow Failback" and "Enable Watch Dog" but the rest were stock.

I'm hopping there is some good combination of settings that can be recommended to try.

Thanks
Nathan

Since Upgrading to Merlin's Beta Firmware this is now fixed and Failover / Failback now works for me!

Thanks
Nathan