What's new

Dual WAN/Load Balancing - can this be done with routing rules?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davidh44

Occasional Visitor
RT-AC68U with latest Asus firmware

I have 2 ADSL connections of same speed from the same ISP. I want to dedicate only certain devices to use the secondary ADSL connection, and the rest of the computers to use the primary ADSL connection without any load balancing. I do not see an easy way to do this. In Fail Over mode, there is no option to set routing rules. In Load Balancing mode, it only allows 32 routing rules max and I haven't figured out how to set a "catch all" range of IP addresses to route to the primary ADSL connection (e.g. set 192.168.1.2-5 to go to secondary ADSL connection, and 192.168.1.6-254 to go to primary ADLS connection). Can this be done with the routing rules?

The reason I'm avoiding Load Balancing is that I could never get it to work correctly whether I have Load Balance set to 1:1 or 9:1. Pages will always intermittently fail to load on devices which aren't set in routing rules to only go to one of the WAN interfaces.

I have the 88u and when I tried using dual wan in load balance assigning clients to use a particular isp didn't work for me. It always shunted them over to the secondary provider causing issues so I quit using it.

Dual WAN load balancing has been working to allow me to lock devices onto either the Primary or Secondary WAN. But I have to manually set each device in the routing rules, or else the device goes into default 'load balancing' which simply doesn't work right on these Asus routers. I've run up against the max 32 routing rules allowed in Dual WAN load balancing though.

Does anyone know a way around this limit? Or do DD-WRT or Tomato do a better job of Dual WAN?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!