What's new

dual WAN load balancing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oferlaor

Occasional Visitor
Both Merlin and the original ASUS firmware do a pretty bad job with load balancing. The way it works is by having the router determine the WAN port based on a round robin approach. The main issue with this idea is that a particular device can start up talking to a server under one WAN IP and then later on from the other WAN IP.

The practical result of this is a lot of errors and disconnection issues. Overall, when I turn this on, I start getting complaints of errors, missed connections and timeouts.

Ultimately, the round robin idea is kinda OK, but it's a much better approach to have a particular device on the network stick with one WAN port (assuming both are functioning well!) for a predetermined time.

Currently, if I have 3:3 set as my load balancing, the current approach means that the sessions 4-6 sessions will get the secondary WAN. The correct approach is that devices 4-6 should get the secondary WAN...

I've given up on Asus themselves actually doing this. This is a really beneficial feature, you can get double the speed at very low prices. However, Asus did not even respond to my support requests and the current method of load balancing is clearly ineffective...