What's new

DUAL WAN on RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

huluvu

New Around Here
Hi there,

I recently upgraded my RT-N66U to the latest official Asus Firmware (3.0.0.4.374_979).

Since I'm running a total of 4 Asus routers (1x N66U as the main router and 3x N56U as Access Points) serving circa 25 clients on a single DSL line (50down/10up), I'm considering subscribing to a second DSL line and enabling the DUAL WAN feature on the N66U in Load Balancing mode.

Has anyone tried this? Is this reliable (=rock solid)?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I am using dual WAN on a RT-N66U. I tried the load balancing and got it to work but I can't confirm how well it performed in the long run because mine is set up as "fail over" with cable internet as the primary internet access and DSL as the secondary internet standby. The fail over setup works fine except when the primary internet fails and it switches to secondary internet then it remains on secondary internet. That is my only gripe since it only switches back to primary if the secondary fails (you can unplug the secondary Ethernet cable) or if you reboot or power cycle the router.

Last edited:
I am using dual WAN on a RT-N66U. I tried the load balancing and got it to work but I can't confirm how well it performed in the long run because mine is set up as "fail over" with cable internet as the primary internet access and DSL as the secondary internet standby. The fail over setup works fine except when the primary internet fails and it switches to secondary internet then it remains on secondary internet. That is my only gripe since it only switches back to primary if the secondary fails (you can unplug the secondary Ethernet cable) or if you reboot or power cycle the router.

would the "enable watchdog" feature help with the switch back ???
i have mine turned on, but my cable co is rock solid. one short outage and i was using using tethering from my phone (or was trying, works now)

I haven't tried the "watchdog" feature. I posted about this before and apparently the lack of automatic return to primary WAN is a limitation with the current firmware feature set. Hopefully the Dual WAN features and options will expand in future firmware updates. On the positive side when it stays on secondary WAN after primary WAN fails at least you know when it is on secondary that the primary in fact became unreliable or failed.

Hi there,

...I'm considering subscribing to a second DSL line and enabling the DUAL WAN feature on the N66U in Load Balancing mode.

Has anyone tried this?...

Unless there are advanced configuration options, load balancing over different networks can cause some problems with secure (https://) connections. I used to use load balancing and combined a cable and dsl circuit. I had to create a rule specifying that all https:// traffic went out over one of the circuits. If traffic for a specific connection ended up being split between the two circuits the connection would fail.