What's new

Dual WAN routing rules not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mordac

New Around Here
Hi everyone.
I'm struggling with configuring routing rules on my AC88U router. Setup is as follows:
  • AC88U as main router. One ISP modem in bridge mode connected to WAN port. Another ISP modem in router mode (does not work in bridge mode), connected to LAN port 1
  • AC68U as mesh router
  • Static address configured in DHCP for test PC.
  • Dual WAN config, with WAN port as primary and LAN port as secondary.
  • routing rules to send all traffic of test PC to secondary WAN, everything else to primary WAN (screen capture below)

No matter what I try (swapping secondary and primary, adding two rules with all -> 192.168.2.36 to secondary and all-> 192.168.2.0/24 to primary, flushing route cash...) the router sends everything to the primary LAN.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

1626166878176.png

I don't think this is how it works (load balancing), (I'm probably wrong here though).

With the much improved 386.3 Beta 2, that is where I would be spending time to resolve this issue (if it can be resolved).

If you're to try with the Betas, be sure to flash first and then do a full reset afterward to ensure you're troubleshooting real gremlins and not self-created ones.

What happens if the rules are switched like this?

192.168.2.0/24 all Primary WAN
192.168.2.36 all Secondary WAN

I tried that... and does not work either ... but will try again, because since then I cleared the route cache

Asuswrt Dual WAN is broken for WAN + LAN port Fail Over (some folks report success with USB modems), but should work for Load Balance (as per reports on SNB). Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is unrelated, Dual WAN comes from Asuswrt.

Dual Wan works for me as long I do not check allow "fail back" seems that if you allow fail back it won't fail over.
on the other hand Load balance does not work one of my modem is capped at 4Mb/s the other one at 3Mb/s when I use them separately. If I check dual wan load balance my traffic falls to 300kb/s

It's one of Asuswrt advertised, but non-working properly features. There are multiple complaints on SNB about Dual WAN, but Asus never fixed it.

It is working for a lot of people (I would guess most, actually).

Just not the ones that post with problems, of course.

It is working for a lot of people (I would guess most, actually).

Just not the ones that post with problems, of course.
I doubt this - I haven't seen a single "works fine here" post on this topic despite this being an extremely common response to posts on other issues.

If someone is using successfully Asuswrt Dual-WAN, WAN+LAN fail over - I would like to know the router model and the settings, please.

I have it working OK here using the following rules:

192.168.2.0/25 all Primary WAN
192.168.2.128/27 all Secondary WAN

I then assign IP's that I want on the Secondary WAN to the higher IP Range. Been working here for a while. The only issue I have is with failover if one of the modems drops connection

Asus implements two dual wan connection types:
- Primary and failover: If the primary goes down, traffic is sent to the secondary till the primary is restored.
- Load balance: Configurable for a ratio of traffic. Every x flows is sent to the secondary. This can be one to one or unbalanced.

RiskyBusiness indicates that primary standby can have traffic sent to the secondary and it will router traffic. Your hosts will need to decide where to send traffic and the only way this might work without routing protocols is to define dual routes to default and have default be the internet side interface of the primary and secondary. You will also need routes to each of them. Then if your client is smart enough it will work even with link failures.

Good luck,

Morris

So one report of success using a method nowhere suggested by ASUS. Meanwhile, the method described in their FAQ on their website does not work.......

So one report of success using a method nowhere suggested by ASUS. Meanwhile, the method described in their FAQ on their website does not work.......

I've used dual wan in failover with success. There is an issue with detecting when the primary comes back up and I solved that by using ping to detect WAN up or down.

Morris

Asuswrt Dual WAN is broken for WAN + LAN port Fail Over (some folks report success with USB modems), but should work for Load Balance (as per reports on SNB). Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is unrelated, Dual WAN comes from Asuswrt.
hmm I thought something wrong with my Internet modems. Continusly swiching both ISP connections. stared few months ago & reset all of em few times without knowing of this issue.