What's new

Dual WAN with Android 12 (USB tethering)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

m33ts4k0z

Regular Contributor
Hello,

trying to set up dual WAN using my phone on my RT-AC88U. I have an older Samsung Galaxy Note 9 that runs Android 10 and that phone works fine through USB tethering. However, my new Xiaomi 11T Pro with Android 12 is never detected by the router and it doesn't even work as a storage device doesn't matter what option I choose in the mode menu on the phone. Also the router detects the phone when running cat /proc/bus/usb/devices but it never attaches a driver to it:

Code:
T:  Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 25 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.01 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=2717 ProdID=ff80 Rev= 5.04
S:  Manufacturer=Xiaomi
S:  Product=Xiaomi 11T Pro
S:  SerialNumber=ed32e89e
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
A:  FirstIf#= 0 IfCount= 2 Cls=ef(misc ) Sub=04 Prot=01
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=ef(misc ) Sub=04 Prot=01 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=32ms
I:* If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=0a(data ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=8e(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=0f(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

To my understanding, if I was able to assign the rndis_host driver to it, it is going to work correctly. Any ideas how I could do that? Or any other workaround? Because running the usb_modeswitch, doesnt seem to work because it doesnt seem to have the modes for this vendor/model.

Thank you in advance

Hello,

trying to set up dual WAN using my phone on my RT-AC88U. I have an older Samsung Galaxy Note 9 that runs Android 10 and that phone works fine through USB tethering. However, my new Xiaomi 11T Pro with Android 12 is never detected by the router and it doesn't even work as a storage device doesn't matter what option I choose in the mode menu on the phone. Also the router detects the phone when running cat /proc/bus/usb/devices but it never attaches a driver to it:

Code:
T:  Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 25 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.01 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=2717 ProdID=ff80 Rev= 5.04
S:  Manufacturer=Xiaomi
S:  Product=Xiaomi 11T Pro
S:  SerialNumber=ed32e89e
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
A:  FirstIf#= 0 IfCount= 2 Cls=ef(misc ) Sub=04 Prot=01
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=ef(misc ) Sub=04 Prot=01 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=32ms
I:* If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=0a(data ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=8e(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=0f(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

To my understanding, if I was able to assign the rndis_host driver to it, it is going to work correctly. Any ideas how I could do that? Or any other workaround? Because running the usb_modeswitch, doesnt seem to work because it doesnt seem to have the modes for this vendor/model.

Thank you in advance
Under WAN > Dual WAN did you set the Secondary WAN to USB? Also, once you get it working don't use the Factory ASUS failover (it is trash). Use my script for this purpose.

Under WAN > Dual WAN did you set the Secondary WAN to USB? Also, once you get it working don't use the Factory ASUS failover (it is trash). Use my script for this purpose.

Hello,

as I said I got it working with my samsung but not with my xiaomi. I have installed your script of course but i cant use it unless my phone gets detected. I tested my phone with OpenWRT and it works perfectly fine. I have also contacted ASUS with the information I gathered since they wanted links from this forum to troubleshoot it.

Hello,

as I said I got it working with my samsung but not with my xiaomi. I have installed your script of course but i cant use it unless my phone gets detected. I tested my phone with OpenWRT and it works perfectly fine. I have also contacted ASUS with the information I gathered since they wanted links from this forum to troubleshoot it.
Gotcha…hope they can get you taken care of…

i'm having the same problem with motorola edge 20. i have 3 samsung devices that can connect in usb mode and the one that i need (because it's 5g) doesn't work.
i actually bought RT-AX56U just for that purpose, but it only sees motorola in file sharing mode. once i enable usb sharing, it's gone. i thought installing merlin WRT could possibily fix that. i'm completely new to this so i don't even know where to start. this is the Nth time i've read about someone having that problem and nobody on the internet has a solution to it.

currently i'm using ethernet sharing from my phone to the RT-AX56U with an adapter. it works great when it works.
but i'm on multiple NAT's now and i have no idea if that's even fixable. but that's not so important to me.
but, phone changes DHCP information from time to time so i need to restart my router every time that happens so it picks up the new information. that was the same problem i had before on tenda and i hoped that asus could handle it better and pick up the new information automatically.
the only reason i'm happy with this router is the fact i could install merlin on it and discovered so many new possibilities.

if you get to a solution where there may be possible to adapt the drivers for other phones to work, please share it here!

Last edited:
Asus said that they will look into it. There is a patch from last year that was PRed to Merlin but he rejected it. This patch would fix this issue. OpenWRT got it working but it doesn't support your router. So now we wait for ASUS to fix this.

Asus said that they will look into it. There is a patch from last year that was PRed to Merlin but he rejected it. This patch would fix this issue. OpenWRT got it working but it doesn't support your router. So now we wait for ASUS to fix this.
thank you, that information is helpful.
now i can stop looking for a solution for now and relax a little :) this is the third day of my search. i got so many info from this forum already so thanks a lot for sharing.

i'm having the same problem with motorola edge 20. i have 3 samsung devices that can connect in usb mode and the one that i need (because it's 5g) doesn't work.
i actually bought RT-AX56U just for that purpose, but it only sees motorola in file sharing mode. once i enable usb sharing, it's gone. i thought installing merlin WRT could possibily fix that. i'm completely new to this so i don't even know where to start. this is the Nth time i've read about someone having that problem and nobody on the internet has a solution to it.

currently i'm using ethernet sharing from my phone to the RT-AX56U with an adapter. it works great when it works.
but i'm on multiple NAT's now and i have no idea if that's even fixable. but that's not so important to me.
but, phone changes DHCP information from time to time so i need to restart my router every time that happens so it picks up the new information. that was the same problem i had before on tenda and i hoped that asus could handle it better and pick up the new information automatically.
the only reason i'm happy with this router is the fact i could install merlin on it and discovered so many new possibilities.

if you get to a solution where there may be possible to adapt the drivers for other phones to work, please share it here!
Have you tried changing the DHCP query mode on the router?

Have you tried changing the DHCP query mode on the router?

i've tried many things i don't really understand :)
my WAN connection type is on automatic IP
i've changed "DHCP query frequency" from continuous mode to agressive. that's pretty much all i can see about DHCP in WAN section.
i don't know what other things are.
Snimka-zaslona-2022-06-25-112129.jpg

i never tried cloning my phone's mac address. i did try it with my PC's network card adress.
could that change something? is that even logical? :)

i've tried many things i don't really understand :)
my WAN connection type is on automatic IP
i've changed "DHCP query frequency" from continuous mode to agressive. that's pretty much all i can see about DHCP in WAN section.
i don't know what other things are.
Snimka-zaslona-2022-06-25-112129.jpg
Instead of restarting the router, you could just restart the wan interface....if you're using Dual WAN try my script. It may indirectly help with your issue since it actively monitors the WAN interface.

EDIT:

oh i already saw it, i just have to install it :)
I just posted the new 1.5.1-beta, need some testers for that version to give feedback so I can update production version from 1.4.6

i got an idea how this would temporarily work.
other than using the ethernet connection of my phone, i could also enable the hotspot on it (hoping that it doesn't overheat). one of the samsung phones that work with asus in usb mode will be connected to it and will be the failover. not much of a failover (if you're a gamer, but thakfully i'm not), so it'll work before it switches back to WAN. i'll se how your script works with that.

Last edited:
i got an idea how this would temporarily work.
other than using the ethernet connection of my phone, i could also enable the hotspot on it (hoping that it doesn't overheat). one of the samsung phones that work with asus in usb mode will be connected to it and will be the failover. not much of a failover (if you're a gamer, but thakfully i'm not), so it'll work before it switches back to WAN. i'll se how your script works with that.

In the mean time, I found a solution that works pretty well but involves getting an inexpensive adapter. You can grab a usb-c to ethernet adapter for $15-$20 and you can use the phone in ethernet tethering and connect the phone to one of the routers LAN ports. You can then configure the router to switch to that LAN port when the Internet goes down. I tried it and works pretty well.

In the mean time, I found a solution that works pretty well but involves getting an inexpensive adapter. You can grab a usb-c to ethernet adapter for $15-$20 and you can use the phone in ethernet tethering and connect the phone to one of the routers LAN ports. You can then configure the router to switch to that LAN port when the Internet goes down. I tried it and works pretty well.
i already have an expensive verbatim 1 gbit ethernet adapter for that. that's what's not working as it should with motorola edge 20. when i connect with ethernet sharing, it gets a lease time of 1 hour. after that it won't renew the lease. when i connect motorola edge 20 to usb for usb sharing, it doesn't see it for usb sharing, it only sees it when it's in file sharing mode. with samsung phones, everyting works. in the end i changed my mothers huawei with motorola edge 20 and now i use huawei.
with huawei, usb sharing doesn't work but ethernet lease time gets properly renewed so ethternet sharing works.

so now i'm using huawei for ethernet sharing and my backup is a samsung that tethers on usb. huawei is also sharing via a hotspot. that hotspot is connected to samsung. samsung's wifi internet is shared with the hotspot and when ethernet fails (if there's a power surge and there was one, ethernet will not reconnect by itself), it will connect to samsung.

it's a great solution. it works perfectly as wifi for the hotspot is wifi6. but it shouldn't require a third phone nor it should require 4 different phones to test what will work and what won't :) some people don't just have 4 different phones around that they could use. i had to beg my mother to give me that huawei (i gave her) and switch to a (better) motorola.
that should have been the simplest thing. from all the things i've setup on this modem by now, this was the most complicated one to do. and it's the one that is officialy offered as a feature.

i already have an expensive verbatim 1 gbit ethernet adapter for that. that's what's not working as it should with motorola edge 20. when i connect with ethernet sharing, it gets a lease time of 1 hour. after that it won't renew the lease. when i connect motorola edge 20 to usb for usb sharing, it doesn't see it for usb sharing, it only sees it when it's in file sharing mode. with samsung phones, everyting works. in the end i changed my mothers huawei with motorola edge 20 and now i use huawei.
with huawei, usb sharing doesn't work but ethernet lease time gets properly renewed so ethternet sharing works.

so now i'm using huawei for ethernet sharing and my backup is a samsung that tethers on usb. huawei is also sharing via a hotspot. that hotspot is connected to samsung. samsung's wifi internet is shared with the hotspot and when ethernet fails (if there's a power surge and there was one, ethernet will not reconnect by itself), it will connect to samsung.

it's a great solution. it works perfectly. but it shouldn't require a third phone nor it should require 4 different phones to test what it will work and what won't :)
that should have been the simplest thing. from all the things i've setup on this modem by now, this was the most complicated one to do. and it's the one that is officialy offered as a feature.

Have you tried adjusting the DHCP mode on the router for that wan interface?

Have you tried adjusting the DHCP mode on the router for that wan interface?
yes. i've tried a million things. it took me days untill everything worked.
but now i'm happy so i won't mess with anything again until there's a new firmware update.
when i used different devices, i got different results. some android devices i've tried don't have 5G and that's what i needed to work. so this is how it has to be for now.

I don't have an ASUS router but I'm evaluating buying one once tethering in modern Android12 smartphones is confirmed working. Are there updates on the issue reported by the OP (@m33ts4k0z )? @ray2301's one seems to be a different one.

I don't have an ASUS router but I'm evaluating buying one once tethering in modern Android12 smartphones is confirmed working. Are there updates on the issue reported by the OP (@m33ts4k0z )? @ray2301's one seems to be a different one.

I've been trying a Pixel 4a with no success using the stock dual wan fail over functionality. Looking to try again with @Ranger802004's script this weekend. Hopefully I will have better results to share. ;)