What's new

Dual WAN with dual USB modems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Martino

New Around Here
Hi all!

Firstly, I would like to thank RMerlin for his great piece of work for all users of ASUS wrt routers, and also all of you who share on this forum your knowledge and experience with others.

I have two ASUS routers. RT-N66U and DSL-N55U Annex B. I've used RMerlin firmware in RT-N66U and I am satisfied.

OK, let's get to the point.

In present setting I have only mobile broadband (HSPA+) connection possibility, no fiber or xDSL, with 2 SIM cards and these usb dongles (all Huawei):
E3251 HiLink (cdc ethernet device), E173s-2 and E1752 (PPP modems - ttyUSB). All of them cooperate sufficiently with RT-N66U.

What I want to done is use DUAL WAN option with 2 usb dongles, with load balance on RT-N66U. E3251 as primary and E173 as secondary.

Also, there is some special requirements:

Scheduled traffic based on time - if time == from 0:00 to 5:00, all traffic go through secondary connection (balance 0:1). Else, standard balance (3:1 etc.).

Access from WAN (Port forward.) through secondary connection, because primary (E3251) is cdc_eth with own NAT and DHCP and there is no possibility go through this device from outside.

Traffic manager per WAN, per hours. Since, these are mobile broadband with limited data plan (primary 20GB, second. 12GB) and on secondary is free-hours between 0:00 and 5:00. I need to know how much data is consumed in free-hours and in paid hours.

Especially with what I need help is how to tell RT-N66U, that it should use usb modem 1 as primary WAN and usb modem 2 as secondary WAN in DUAL WAN mode.

Now I'm using Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.27 Beta 1 firmware. But it seems like there is no DUAL WAN capability enabled in this RMerlin release. Is it true, RMerlin?
I've been trying this task with official 3.0.0.4.354, but in this firmware is not built in option for that issue and maybe it is necessary to implement something to source code.
Therefore, I'm posting this thread in this section.

I'll be very pleased to any hints and help with this issue.

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
DualWAN is only available in the Experimental versions of my builds, as it's an unfinished feature. Since 354.27 is a beta, I didn't make any experimental release so to have the entire focus on testing the 354-specific changes.

Also, note that Asus does not recommend using FW build 354 with USB devices due to some known issues (the changelog isn't very specific there), so you should use the experimental 270.26b release (with Dual WAN support) instead.

Finally, keep in mind that this is labeled as experimental. Dual WAN is not 100% functional yet, it's a work-in-progress.