What's new

Dual Wan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kal1975

Regular Contributor
I have a RT-AC3100 Asus router. I'm trying to set up dual wan but the device I'm trying to use is not on the supported list. I'm trying to use a Sierra Wireless (now Netgear) Aircard 763s mobile hotspot on the Rogers network in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

When I plug in the hotspot, the router appears to recognize it. I see the correct device name displayed on the network map page under the correct USB port and when I view it, it says Go to USB Modem and has a button for it. When I click the button, it goes to the Internet Connection tab for the WAN but instead of the normal contents, it shows a setting to enable the USB modem. When I turn the USB mode on, a bunch of option options/settings appear. I set the following:

Select USB Device: USB Modem
APN Configuration: Manual setting
Telecommunications Standards: WCDMA (UMTS)/LTE
APN Service(optional): ltedata.apn
Dial Number:
Username:
Password:
Authentication: None
PIN code:
USB Adapter: Auto
USB MTU: 1500

Extend the TTL value: No
Spoof LAN TTL value: No

I've also SSH'ed into the router and it looks like the hotspot is supported by the kernel. I get the following with dmesg along with a bunch of other related messages:

USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
option 1-2:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
option 1-2:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
option 1-2:1.2: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
option 1-2:1.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB3
option 1-2:1.7: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
usb 1-2: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB4
usbcore: registered new interface driver option
option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems

The network map page shows the 2nd internet connection either that the second WAN connection has the network cable unplugged or the network is disconnected.

I have the Dual WAN mode set to failover. I'll set it to Load Balance after.

Is there something else to be done? Is there something wrong with the above?

That's normal and you can force it to connect by unplugging the primary wan cable, allow it to establish the connection and then replug the primary. It will then move the secondary to standby mode. Another issue I saw was with the lan addresses on the second wan conflicting with those on the primary router. I changed the second wan range to 172 leaving the primary on 192 which relieved that condition.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!