What's new

Dummy 101 Home Networking Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rivereyes

New Around Here
Hi all,

Please bear with me, my question will be horribly cretinous :)

I moved into an apartment with 8 different ethernet ports around the house and a fancy fuse/network box by the entrance. (see picture)
Network.jpg

If memory serves, before connecting the main RKT2/A24 cable to port 3 in the network box, all ethernet ports around the house were dead. I may be wrong about this, but I vaguely remember wrestling with the router and trying to get it to connect at port 3, nothing was happening. In a short-lived burst of brilliance, I ran to the box and connected the only cable available to Port 3 and lo and behold, the port came alive.

Now I want to use other ports around the house. And I suspect that I will need some piece of kit that allows the main RKT2 cable to activate the rest of those ports. Is that what a fabled 'switch box' is? Do I even need it?

Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated :D

Assuming the "RKT2/A24" is your ISP modem.
You need to add a gigabit switch in the cabinet. Connect a cable between the "RKT2/A24" port and the switch. Then connect a cable between a switch port and the panel port for each jack that you want to make live.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!