What's new

Duplicate MAC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Preskitt.man

Regular Contributor
So I recently updated to 386.1 (everything seems fine) and configured for the first time AiMesh (AC86U is primary and AC68U is node connected via ethernet backhaul), and again, all seems to be working well. However, when I went to the Network Management screen for AiMesh, I noticed that the MAC address for the ethernet port and the 2.4 Ghz port were identical for each router. Just to be clear, for each router, the 2.4Ghz port and bachaul port had the same MAC's. I assume they have always been that way - I've had these two routers for years now without any issues, but it was just never so obvious as it is now with this AiMesh management screen.
1613069041424.png

To be honest, whether Merlin or any other third-party firmware, I've never found these MAC addresses to be consistently expressed or used. And in the end, it probably doesn't matter since they are (at least in this case) all assigned to the same bridge (br0), and it's the bridge's MAC address that matters. IOW, once a network interface becomes part of bridge, things like MAC address, IP assignment, etc., become irrelevant. It's all subsumed by the bridge.

Of course, break that bridge apart, and have those network interfaces standalone, and yeah, NOW it matters, since each must now be addressed separately.