What's new

Dynamic IP not changing with ISP while using Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

onepush

Occasional Visitor
My ISP says that my IP is supposed to change every few days, but something relating to Merlin on my Asus Router is not allowing my IP to cycle through the IP pool. This happened once before and I forget how I solved it, but it had something to do with resetting WAN settings. But I've tried that, yet my ISP IP is still stuck.

Any ideas how I can get a fresh IP from the IP pool as I am supposed to be doing regulatory (according to my ISP)?

The router has no control over what IP gets assigned when using DHCP over the WAN, nor the length of the lease. That's entirely up to the ISP's DHCP server. What most routers do is request a renewal half way through the lease, w/ the expectation they will be able to maintain the same IP. But if the ISP's DHCP server just refuses, so be it. As the DHCP client, the router is completely at the mercy of the ISP's DHCP server when it comes to these matters.