What's new

dyndns for kodi on a windows pc

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

badplay

Occasional Visitor
hey

i want to install dyndns service for kodi on a windows pc. i have asuswrt merlin, but dont understand how to make a dyn dns adress for this windows pc with kodi installation
i have made a registration at http://www.dyndnss.net but they need a setup at the router. i dont understand the system how it works

i need a setup on both? on dyndnss.net and on my router ???

You need to login to your router (you don't say which model) go to WAN then DDNS choose dyndns type and fill in your specifics. Should work just fine. Uses user name and password from your dyndns account. A word of advice do not enable "Lets Encrypt" choose none and apply.

asus.com is by far the easiest.

This the page and I would sugest using asus.com really easy. Make up your host name and apply and you have your ddns address. Make sure you do not enable lets encrypt thats for another day.

Attachments

• ASUS Wireless Router RT AC3100   DDNS.png
    ASUS Wireless Router RT AC3100 DDNS.png
    238.2 KB · Views: 662
i want to install dyndns service for kodi on a windows pc.

Just out of curiosity, how are you trying to make Kodi accessible?
Are you wanting to access Kodi remotely from outside the network where Kodi resides, or just give the kodi instance a static name or IP within the network?

If you're just accessing internally - use the LAN DHCP server settings to statically assign an IP to your Windows Kodi box.. then you can stick that in Yatze whatever and it'll always be the same.

If you're remotely accessing Kodi, might I suggest that you'd probably have better security implementing a VPN instead of just mapping a port to outside world. Whilst Kodi has internet capable services, I don't know if it's something I'd trust opening up to the general internet. There are VPN services built into Asuswrt-Merlin, and there are clients for these VPNs available for all the popular mobile and desktop platforms.

Regardless of VPN or portmap, having dynamic DNS is handy, and above posters' comments about WAN settings are spot on.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!