What's new

EA6900 upload to Synology DS918+ is 2 MBs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Samuel111

Occasional Visitor
Hi there, new to the forum don’t take the lack of knowledge for ignorance please.

The setup:
Synology DS918+ NAS hardwired LAN to Linksys EA6900 - uploading from ASUS laptop (no LAN port) with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265. The upload speeds are 2 MBs “steady average”.

Where should I start digging?
Tried numerous articles - looks like this problem did exist but since most moved up with their routers/comps, there is not much reference. And I’m not looking for crazy speeds - a decent WiFi upload would do.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 95
Is this something specific between EA6900 and DS918+ NAS? Is it documented somewhere? I have a few EA6900 routers and they are good performers. It's the same hardware router as most popular Asus router RT-AC68U and one of the most popular in the past Netgear routers R7000. I don't have this Synology NAS to test with, but I remember transfers of >40MB/sec to my NAS, over Wi-Fi.

I only have 2 laptops, both WiFi, ASUS and MB Pro - both upload at about the same 2 MBs. So, most likely, it is not in the computer settings.
but 1 router and 1 NAS - and that is something I am trying to figure out: if it is specifically that Linksys with that Synology or else..
Where to start on this equipment since I don’t have an alternative for these two, the router and the NAS.

Yes, and since NAS is hard-wired LAN.. it must be IMHO something/somewhere on the router side….
I tried to look up the optimal settings for it - everything seems to be OK (not that there is much to tune there).

What's the connection between your laptops and this router? What is the speed when transferring files between the two laptops over Wi-Fi?

D5CBC80A-ABAF-4E25-8145-C3C87179AC24.jpeg

if I’m doing it right - new to Mac, sorry - then about 1 MBs.
but that is over my home WiFi. Not sure if I can connect those two in-between directly.

Transfers between laptops are 1MB/sec? That's too low. Your router is 3-stream, capable of 1300Mbps link speeds. If your laptops have 2-stream clients, the maximum throughput to the router is about 480Mbps or 60MB/sec. Ideal conditions don't exist and transfers Wi-Fi to Wi-Fi cut the throughput on half. You should be able to see at least 15MB/sec transfer speed between your laptops. I believe something is wrong with your Wi-Fi connection.

Your computers have connection info.
I don't use Mac, but here is how it looks in Windows:

Untitled_56.png

Settings -> Networks & Internet -> Status -> Properties.
The computer above is connected with 2-stream 866Mbps link.

Yep, “transmit rate: 54” on MacBook as well.
windows laptop has AC adapter; MacBook Pro M1 - AC (I believe) as well.
What’s wrong with Linksys EA6900? How do I “fix/tune” it?

What’s wrong with Linksys EA6900?

Nothing is wrong. This router has two separate radios and creates two SSIDs, one for each. You are connected to 2.4GHz radio. You have to use 5GHz radio for much better performance. Look at your User's Manual for more details or download one on-line here.

Attachments

• 14025D22-228D-4BA8-B834-5BF70248C200.jpeg
    14025D22-228D-4BA8-B834-5BF70248C200.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 6774B822-E0B9-4BBC-A3AF-D9E125DBDE55.jpeg
    6774B822-E0B9-4BBC-A3AF-D9E125DBDE55.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 91
btw, not sure if that helps: an internet DL goes all the way to 200-270 Gbs on the same Windows laptop with the same Router (even above the limit of my Comcast 200 Gb plan)

Try file transfer to your NAS. This protocol 802.11a is something from 1999 with 54Mbps data rate indeed. I don't know if that's wrong reporting or real.

If no one messed with laptops Wi-Fi settings, I would reset the router to factory defaults and set it up again. I would also make sure the router is on latest firmware available. I know nothing about your Wi-Fi environment and I can't recommend any Wi-Fi router settings at this point. One of your screenshots shows channels 149, another channel 36. I don't know what's going on there.