What's new

EA6900 with tomato running as AP bottlenecking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dolphinus

Occasional Visitor
Hello Friends, I've come with the next issue when I tried to improve My wireless coverage, My Main router(LINKSYS EA6900 with fresh tomato FW) is connected to My modem and has an external Hard drive connected to it's USB3.0 Port, then I connected one of it's LAN ports to another EA6900 with the same firmware but configured as AP, when I run iperf connected to the Main router I get appropiate speeds, but when I do it connected to the AP I get speeds of around 9Mbps, the UTP cable seems to work at 100mbps only, not GB speeds, but thats not My problem because it should be more than enough to stream My shared files as it did with a way cheaper router configured as AP, my question is this, why a Linksys EA6900 with the same configuration and cable connected to the Main router works worse than a 1 dollar router that I bought.

I hope I explained myself clearly as English is not my first language.

Thanks in advance. Best regards!

Replace the Ethernet cable between the router and the access point.

Last edited:
Replaced it and got the same results, connected GB LAN cable to router and got 350~Mbps, is that appropiate? Or My Main router is the one with the flaw?

Best regards.

What speeds do you get from speedtest.net when connected to the main router vs. the access point?

My connection is 30mbps, so I get them correctly, My problem is local speeds as I share My files to My tvs

If you are getting 30Mbps from the speedtest then I would suggest that the 9Mbps you're getting from iperf is not a representative number.

I suggest that you try a "real world" test like copying a large file from the main router's USB drive to a PC. See what transfer speeds your PC reports.

If you are getting 30Mbps from the speedtest then I would suggest that the 9Mbps you're getting from iperf is not a representative number.

I suggest that you try a "real world" test like copying a large file from the main router's USB drive to a PC. See what transfer speeds your PC reports.
Will do, thanks a lot for the help my friend!

Hello Friends, I've come with the next issue when I tried to improve My wireless coverage, My Main router(LINKSYS EA6900 with fresh tomato FW) is connected to My modem and has an external Hard drive connected to it's USB3.0 Port, then I connected one of it's LAN ports to another EA6900 with the same firmware but configured as AP, when I run iperf connected to the Main router I get appropiate speeds, but when I do it connected to the AP I get speeds of around 9Mbps, the UTP cable seems to work at 100mbps only, not GB speeds, but thats not My problem because it should be more than enough to stream My shared files as it did with a way cheaper router configured as AP, my question is this, why a Linksys EA6900 with the same configuration and cable connected to the Main router works worse than a 1 dollar router that I bought.

I hope I explained myself clearly as English is not my first language.

Thanks in advance. Best regards!
I want to help but i need a bit more information. So you have an EA6900 connected to the modem as router and you connected one LAN port of the EA6900 via a UTP cable to the WAN port of another EA6900 configured as AP, right? So how are you measuring? Via a laptop connected via UTP cable to a LAN port of the EA6900 AP? What is your ISP connection speed? Your speed on wired LAN directly hooked up the the EA6900 router should be very close to your ISP rated speed.

Last edited:
I want to help but i need a bit more information. So you have an EA6900 connected to the modem as router and you connected one LAN port of the EA6900 via a UTP cable to the WAN port of another EA6900 configured as AP, right? So how are you measuring? Via a laptop connected via UTP cable to a LAN port of the EA6900 AP? What is your ISP connection speed? Your speed on wired LAN directly hooked up the the EA6900 router should be very close to your ISP rated speed.
I connected the router to a LAN Port of the AP, My tests are from a wifi connected phone running an iperf app since My routers have this tool, so now I changed my both wireless channel width and am getting 80-90 Mbps speeds on both Frequencies, I connect My phone to the AP and run the test to my main router trying to know transfer speeds from a connected client on the AP to my main router.

I connected the router to a LAN Port of the AP, My tests are from a wifi connected phone running an iperf app since My routers have this tool, so now I changed my both wireless channel width and am getting 80-90 Mbps speeds on both Frequencies, I connect My phone to the AP and run the test to my main router trying to know transfer speeds from a connected client on the AP to my main router.

That doesn't seem to be right. I have several routers that are in AP mode and all are connected to the switch via the WAN port of the AP, so was the EA6400 i had in AP until recently.

I would first measure speed via a wired connection with speedtest to know you are getting the right throughput wired and narrow it down from there. For testing via wifi, 350 mbps seems to be about right for an AC wifi router but you should get similar speeds at the EA6900 in AP mode.

My 3 AP's are configured as DHCP clients and connected via the WAN port to a switch that is connected to the router and i get similar speeds on all 3, all AC but different ones.

update: I read some older posts that LAN/LAN should be faster than LAN/WAN but i am not seeing any of that, not with the Asus, Netgear or the previous EA6400 and EA4200 in bridge mode.

Last edited: