What's new

Easy one - Firmware Upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

systematic

Regular Contributor
Morning Guys,

I have been out of the game for a while but had a few easy questions. I have RT-AC88U

1. I am currently on FW version 380.68. What is the best/reliable FW to upgrade to?
2. Is upgrading as simple as downloading the file, going into the admin section and uploading it?
2. Do/Should I take a backup of my configuration before doing the upgrade or do the settings/rules etc get auto-reapplied?

Thank you so much ladies and gents.

Morning Guys,

I have been out of the game for a while but had a few easy questions. I have RT-AC88U

1. I am currently on FW version 380.68. What is the best/reliable FW to upgrade to?
2. Is upgrading as simple as downloading the file, going into the admin section and uploading it?
2. Do/Should I take a backup of my configuration before doing the upgrade or do the settings/rules etc get auto-reapplied?

Yes, you're overdue to update...but are you running Merlin 380.68 or stock Asus? (If you're not running Merlin, you really should consider it for the scripts)

Yes, downloading and installing firmware is as easy as you describe.

the answer to your second #2 ;) is a bit more complex: Most people around here would advise making note of your settings rather than backing them up, and then reapplying them when you've done a re-flash/factory reset. It's a pretty big jump in firmware versions you're about to take, but if your setup now is a basic one, you should have no problems making the transition. where things get more involved is if you have any jffs scripts running - they may need to be adjusted, and that's why most people advise the factory reset route - the installers of the scripts are kept fairly up-to-date/patched for current firmware, so letting the people who write the code make some decisions for you can be quite helpful in removing any speedbumps to the process.

Morning Guys,

The current stock firmware is on the ASUS website.
https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AC88U/HelpDesk_Download/

It may also be available within the router GUI under Administration\Firmware Upgrade.

After upgrading, it safest to perform a factory default reset and reconfigure from scratch.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

OE

384.8_beta1 just uploaded to this.

Says a newer version is available?

Oops, I missed this; it seems you're running Merlin.
have you checked his website/the changelog for the current version?
If you trust what the firmware is telling you, why not click update and let it take care of itself?

After that, follow the factory reset procedure/instructions in OzarkEdge's posted link and you should be all set...until the next update.