What's new

Easy way to see what SSID a device is using?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htismaqe

Very Senior Member
On other stock firmware like Netgear and Linksys WRT, the network "map" would show whether a host was connected to main or guest or whatever. On OpenWRT and DD-WRT, it shows connections to interfaces, which are fairly easy to correlate to individual SSID's, particularly for guests.

On Asus / Merlin, I'm not finding a good way to quickly see where devices are connected. Anybody have a decent solution for this?

Yep, it just has a G for guest. It doesn't show which guest network they are connected to. Most every other firmware I've used could do this, it's the one thing I've found I don't like.

I use several guest networks for IoT devices. I selected the band and SSID I wanted them to connect to. I have setup the MAC filter to reject them on the other guest networks I don't want them connecting to and I never told them the WiFi password so they can access my primary SSIDs. Some what of a pain but I had to do it prevent my Amazon devices from switching bands as the Amazon devices are to smart for their/mine own good. Probably could accomplish the same by having a different password for each network but there were reason I couldn't do that.

I have a very similar situation and I solved it by using different passwords. What my real gripe right now is that my kids know the "open" guest network's PSK and instead of telling me when they have internet issues, they just connect to the guest network I setup for their friends. Then they don't understand why they can't print and other stuff and I get tired of having to troubleshoot it reactively. Would rather deal with it when I want rather than when they need. ;)

By the way, Amazon is storing device passwords, so even if you use multiple passwords, some devices will have access to both/all of them. I've never seen them hop but they could.

By the way, Amazon is storing device passwords, so even if you use multiple passwords, some devices will have access to both/all of them. I've never seen them hop but they could.

They do hop and when they did some Spots would be on one SSID and others on another. Then when you tried to play music on all of them it would then only play music to those Spots that happened to be on the same SSID. I also had to be sure they could not connect to my AP. As I said Amazon is to smart for anyone's good.

Yet another reason I don't want my kids connecting willy nilly. Since they have Amazon even on their phones. I'd prefer Amazon only knows the password for my Echo guest network.