1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[EAX-80] - Is another EAX-80 seen as radar?

Discussion in 'NETGEAR AX Wireless' started by Flying Dutchman, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Regular Contributor

I have 2x an EAX-80. This to cover the whole house with WiFi6.
    They are both connected over CAT6 cable to the router and set-up as Access Points.

When I set both AP's 5 GHz band to channel 108 this band is often not starting on both on power-up.

I see the 2.4 GHz band coming up but the 5 GHz band is not there, also not after a long time. When I set the channel to 44 there is no problem. The outdoor AP is not switched on.

Can it be that the 5 GHz signal from one is a radar-like signal for the other which causes the 5 GHz radio to switch off?

2. deviousdragonuk

deviousdragonuk New Around Here

Hi
    I’ve a RAX120 and EAX80.

First assumption: you are in the UK and set parameters to Europe.

If you set two devices to use DFS channels, there is a ‘wait period’ where they listen for any interference traffic before transmitting.

I set both to use DFS and originally tried the 160Hz settings. However after reading about the DFS space, a router can’t determine what the transmission type is so it classes anything in the DFS space as bad. :(. So I reverted to reducing the width to 80hz and selecting normal channels. No problems then.

I came to the same conclusion as it took me half a dozen times to get it to connect to DFS: then the next morning they had dropped and reverted to normal.

Oh: the other thing why I went from 160hz was even setting a non-DFS channel, the width would mean it tried to use them. Caused no end of havoc.

I had to turn mine on in series (router then extender) several times to get a link but was just un stable.

As an aside, as still having problems in extender mode as the throughout just dies to a few MB and latency problems.

So In summary, change the settings to 80Hz and a non-DFS one and try that :)