What's new

Skynet "Elvis has left the building ... "

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernol

Very Senior Member
I really hope that I will be proven wrong ... but it does look a lot like another one of the dependable coders who made a MASSIVE contribution to the well-being of thousands of members and guests to this forum - and was clearly VERY appreciated by responders [see the 150% of posts accolade ratio] .... has "left the building" :oops:?

adamm-gone.JPG

Not a single post or presence from him since that fateful day when ALL "Add-On" threads were expired at 6 months of age - cut down in their prime some would say :(!

Anyway - if I'm right and we have lost him - may the force be with him :cool:.

I really hope that I will be proven wrong ... but it does look a lot like another one of the dependable coders who made a MASSIVE contribution to the well-being of thousands of members and guests to this forum - and was clearly VERY appreciated by responders [see the 150% of posts accolade ratio] .... has "left the building" :oops:?

View attachment 27696

Not a single post or presence from him since that fateful day when ALL "Add-On" threads were expired at 6 months of age - cut down in their prime some would say :(!

Another? Who left? This is bad news!!! :(

Another? Who left? This is bad news!!! :(
We lost @FreshJR for different reasons on 30 June 2019 ... but were extremely fortunate that @dave14305 took up the QOS project almost exactly a year later. His original FlexQos thread will expire on Christmas day this year.

View attachment 27696

He appears to be actively developing his scripts still.
just from 2 days ago....
1605510371807.png

@Adamm is still around.

I've been wondering about him too, but was hesitant to ask. I hope he isn't gone for long.

He appears to be actively developing his scripts still.
just from 2 days ago....
@Adamm is still around.

Aware of that [and I commented there by thanking him for adding the RT-AX86U to the firmware build menu] - nevertheless he seems to have left this building [snbforums].

argh...changed for nothing at the end.Skynet project stopped 15 days ago,I wish it's gonna be alright.

@Adamm said multiple times that this board is no longer run in an acceptable way for him.
This is the consequence.

I can't say i disagree with him. Where before i could go to a single thread to get skynet support, usually answered by Adamm directly within a few hours now I can search through 20+ skynet posts and probably not get the same level of support. :oops: I can't imagine he wanted to spend any more time scouring the subforums to support a single project. Maybe a subforum should have been created for each project then?

Any one addon can't justify enough traffic for a dedicated sub-forum. Megathreads were a better solution than the current state of affairs. I rolled with the changes, but I've come to the conclusion that -- collectively -- we as forum members suck at writing meaningful thread titles, which is probably why many people prefer adding on to existing threads. And the use of the prefixes is spotty at best.

Megathreads avoided this issue by having the addon owner make a nice title and everyone knew where to post.

I wouldn't blame Adamm if he doesn't return, but I hope eventually he'll resurface or at least let us know where to engage with him. Maybe that secret Discord server of his? :)

Megathreads that got over 100, or 1000 pages, with all sorts of noise thrown in make it difficult to find the signal necessary to resolve issues/configure things...especially as things evolve. how far back - just how many pages/posts- do I go to get the information I want/need?
I prefer the staledating - it necessitates an accurate, up-to-date FAQ/stickied page. (3 months for replies would be more than plenty at the pace things are getting developed around here)
I will, however, agree that people need help with accurately titling and classifying things. oy vey, it gets messy still, even with the ability to tag a post with a "header" to get people focusing faster.

The 'Better search' makes a single thread more relevant than ever.

The forums are noticeably worse off today than before this arbitrary change.

Harder to answer by needing to find the right, relevant thread to point towards the answer, harder to search in a narrowly focused section of the forum. Multiple posts with similar terms and not really related to each other.

Anything posted on a thread is not noise to me. On the contrary, it serves as a signpost of how the topic naturally evolves.

Gutted. Hope he is continuing Skynet.
Best script on here.
It must just be me, but Skynet, to me, seems of limited value unless you are hosting services on your network and need to block known "bad IPs". Otherwise, the default job of the inbound firewall is to drop unsolicited packets.

The outbound blocking can be useful, I suppose.

It is a shame to see @Adamm go, but we'll see if he returns in future. Considering he took the snbforums referral link off the Amazon links in his Skynet README, it seems very unlikely at this stage.

Disclaimer : I'm aware most of my scripts are glorified data visualisation scripts :D

Last edited:
'One of the best scripts' is a far better description, I agree, but it is certainly not a script of limited value.

The sheer number of attempts of entering our networks is a revelation for many customers. They instantly get much more interested in how to further protect themselves (digitally) on their networks.

When you get 20K hits on your digital front door in a two-hour span, the value of the outbound blocking becomes even greater.

If skynet dies, i'll need to migrate to prosumer gear like the unifi dream machine pro or a dedicated pfsense box. Not looking forward to it. I had a juniper srx 20 with built in wifi at home at one point, more trouble for a home setting than it was worth.

If skynet dies, i'll need to migrate to prosumer gear like the unifi dream machine pro or a dedicated pfsense box. Not looking forward to it. I had a juniper srx 20 with built in wifi at home at one point, more trouble for a home setting than it was worth.

the unifi dream machine isn't very good for security purposes. go with pfsense. I plan on using an old pc and popping in a 20 dollar network card and if needed a cheap switch and a raspberry pi as a controller. Untangle i hear is very noob friendly and simply to use. was thinking of trying it, but the fact the home version is not the same as their enterprise turns me off. But It is the best for web filtering and reporting. But Now i'm leaning towards pfsense and sophos since I don't need the web filter. Sophos xg or utm home versions is also limited to 50 devices but I believe you get everything enterprise has. If not then pfsense it is... To be honest the asus routers even with addons simply don't compare to a real IDS/IPS and more advanced vlan control and openvpn support.

I hope another defensive guy aint leaving his project. Is OP saying the forums would really archive his thread and not allow people to post to it? Suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.