What's new

Enable SSH to "LAN+WAN" reverts to LAN only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pjama

New Around Here
Having been using merlin on a RT-AC68U for a while now but I needed some IPSec capabilities so I bought a new (Origin China?) RT-AC86U and installed 384.6 on it c/w reset.

I need to be able to ssh to the router from the internet which I could do on the 68U and I set up the 86U the same to permit LAN+WAN but it keeps reverting back to LAN Only. There is a brief window where it sticks and I can ssh in but it still reverts and I can no longer open new ssh connections.

Is this a known issue? Is there a work around/fix?

Yes, I'm aware of the security issues and have a authorized key set up and skynet and SSHBFP on to minimize the risk.

Thanks for any assistance.

If you have Skynet installed and securemode is enabled (it is by default), you can't enable WAN access. If you wish to disable it, at your own risk, execute:

Code:
sh /jffs/scripts/firewall settings securemode disable

If you really need access to your router, consider setting up your router as a VPN server for more secure access (and don't forget to re-enable Skynet's securemode afterwards, by executing 'sh /jffs/scripts/firewall settings securemode enable' without quotes).

You’re very strongly advised against exposing the router services to WAN. The only good option for remote access is the OpenVPN server feature.