What's new

Enabling AiProtection or QoS on ASUS RT-AX58U breaks everything

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RejZoR

Regular Contributor
I've had ASUS RT-AC87U for many years and it served me well, but decided to buy a newer one and decided for ASUS again because I have great experience with them (especially thanks to Merlin). Picked ASUS RT-AX58U.

Set it up exactly the same as old one and I keep on having massive problems with WiFi connectivity where clients would just constantly drop from WiFi connection, have poor speeds, stop functioning, poor signal reception. I also need IPTV functionality for my TV and it too didn't work at all where all this never was an issue on old router.

After poking it for a while I've noticed everything seems to function fine until I enable AiProtection or QoS. As soon as I enable either, all hell breaks loose and router basically becomes entirely useless. I've tried latest official ASUS update from 25.3.2020 as well as latest Merlin one and they all have this problem.

What baffles me the most is how I seem to be the only one having this problem and it makes no sense. I used both features flawlessly on RT-AC87U, but here on RT-AX58U, router just goes pretty much dead if I enable either.

I've had ASUS RT-AC87U for many years and it served me well, but decided to buy a newer one and decided for ASUS again because I have great experience with them (especially thanks to Merlin). Picked ASUS RT-AX58U.

Set it up exactly the same as old one and I keep on having massive problems with WiFi connectivity where clients would just constantly drop from WiFi connection, have poor speeds, stop functioning, poor signal reception. I also need IPTV functionality for my TV and it too didn't work at all where all this never was an issue on old router.

After poking it for a while I've noticed everything seems to function fine until I enable AiProtection or QoS. As soon as I enable either, all hell breaks loose and router basically becomes entirely useless. I've tried latest official ASUS update from 25.3.2020 as well as latest Merlin one and they all have this problem.

What baffles me the most is how I seem to be the only one having this problem and it makes no sense. I used both features flawlessly on RT-AC87U, but here on RT-AX58U, router just goes pretty much dead if I enable either.

I'd reset it, install stock firmware, reset again, config from scratch, and if it doesn't perform normally, return it.

Return it can mean exchange it for another one with the vendor, return it and buy a different router, or RMA it with Asus. The RMA process may troubleshoot/confirm the issue and result in a replacement router. Otherwise, sit on it and hope the next firmware release will make a difference.

OE

Last edited:
And returning it would solve what? Clearly it's not a hardware defect.

Are there a lot of posts here that say AiProtection breaks everything?

Have you reset the router before configuring it?

OE

@RejZoR part of the M&M Config (literally, the minimal and manual config) process is to not carry over customizations from previous working setups 'just because'.

After completely and fully resetting the router to factory defaults, including checking the "Initialize all settings...' checkbox before you hit 'Restore' and formatting the USB drive (if you use one) on a PC before you put it into the freshly reset router, what settings/configuration options are you applying? And, how are you applying them?

Carrying settings over as in manually setting it the way I had old one set. With basic things like flipping AiProtection and QoS switches to ON. Not importing old setup file.

@RejZoR, you don't give away too much information, huh? :)

The specific settings you carry over (manually or not) may or may not matter. Can you share them?

Are you also reusing old SSIDs? Going from an AC class router (with its wonky Quantenna chipset!) to an AX class router, I wouldn't.

I would suggest setting up a completely new/fresh network instead (Nuclear Reset guide in my signature link below) and only change what needs to be changed.

Why a new SSID? https://www.snbforums.com/threads/i...-ax88u-rt-ac86u-node.60551/page-2#post-532915

Here is a recent post that may help you get your router to a good/known state.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88-packet-loss.62891/#post-563326

Why would SSID suddenly be affected by QoS or AiProtection? Or IPTV even. Makes no sense.

Not to mention I have cleared old WiFi "profiles" on devices and recreated them. That still wouldn't explain why router literally sh*ts itself when you turn on those two features.

Also if all this was a problem to begin with, I'd be experiencing issues with those two turned off, but i'm not. If they are off, all works well. As soon as I enable them, router literally collapses into itself.

I don't know the 'why', sorry. I don't think it is even important to 'know' if the fix is the same. :)

But I have seen weird issues resolved when a full ('Nuclear') network reset/configuration is performed. :)

It is almost always better and easier to begin fresh with new hardware than to try to recreate what worked before on the old.

Don't forget, the configurations on the old were to work around those devices issues too (which the new hopefully doesn't have).

I mean, I literally nuke the router settings to all factory default, set the required things like WiFi names and passwords that you can't dismiss when setting up router, set IPTV parameter so TV routes through and then I went and flipped AiProtection and QoS to ON. That's all the "customization". I do have NextDNS client installed, but I've tried without it entirely and it was the same. So, it's not like I'm running some exotic setup. WiFi is literally all default and I even have WiFi 6 disabled because I don't have any clients to utilize it at the moment anyway.

So, you're using IPTV, VPN and disable WiFi 6 but you call these defaults. Hmmm. :)

You have to try a little harder to allow others to help you here. ;)

I never said anything about any VPN. Also, having a functional TV is literally a feature I expect from a router because I almost have ASUS for that thing alone coz I know it worked on older model. I can't use "default" and not know whether TV works or not then if it's not set up. I NEED to set IPTV parameters to know whether it works or not. And it works, until I enable AiProtection and/or QoS. WiFi 6 is literally offered during router setup and you can't get past it. Besides, having it on or off makes no difference and ASUS even advises to not use it unless you have clients that utilize this standard. Which I don't. You're expecting me to use default to solve problems with things I literally need to have them set in order for them to even get basic functional. What?

Only way to use strict default would be to figure out basic connectivity if router just flat out never worked on a WAN level. But that's not the case.

Do you want to post a extract of your syslog.log when the router "literally collapses into itself"? The more detail the better.

Sorry, mistook NextDNS as a VPN provider. :)

I can't make you do proper troubleshooting. But given the limited information you have provided, I can't see how I can offer more.

Good luck.

Why cant you just accept that this firmware (like many before) is buggy and thats the only reason?

Even Merlin often told there is absolutely no need for changing SSID or password, he never did only once long time age on a special very old client (then delete it on this very one client and create new connection).

That may be true. But without proper testing and isolating the problem, knowing where the 'bugs' are is just a guessing game. ;)

Well, I did trial and error of settings and isolated AiProtection and QoS feature to be the sole culprit for the problems. What bugs me the most, I can't possibly be the ONLY one with RT-AX58U to be experiencing this. Or do people really not use AiProtection and QoS functionality to such extent ASUS didn't get any info on this being broken back or something? Coz it looks like whole portion of Trend Micro's functionality is broken beyond usable.

I'll check the system log to see what exactly it is (now that I know what exactly triggers this so I can clear log prior to that point). Are default settings for it fine or should I set it to something more verbose?

I'm not gonna post entire log for now, but I have it saved. I'll just post errors if they mean anything. There is a lot of sensitive info in that log so I can't just post it here...

This is from Merlin's FW, but since symptoms are identical between his and official, I think it doesn't really matter at this point.

THESE ARE REPEATING THROUGH ENTIRE LOG:
kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_setup_wiphy : Registering Vendor80211
kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set
kernel: bcm963xx-pcie: Core [0] Enabled PCIE/UBUS Error Interrupts^M

What is odd is that some log entries have wrong date and time. Some are dated Mar 27 (today), but there is also Mar 25 which is impossible because I cleared a log before flipping AiProtection to ON. Then there are May 5 entries which are either in the future or in the past when I didn't even have this brand new sealed router...

There doesn't seem to be a single entry in regards of AiProtection which I enabled, but there are for QoS which I DIDN'T enable at all...

Mar 25 21:57:36 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=0
Mar 25 21:57:36 kernel: ERR[qos_start:3364] qos_ops is not registered!
Mar 25 21:57:36 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_switch(1) fail!
Mar 25 21:57:36 A.QoS: set_qos_on fails
Mar 25 21:57:36 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Mar 25 21:57:37 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=1
Mar 25 21:57:40 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 25 21:57:40 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Mar 25 21:57:41 A.QoS: qos_count=1, qos_check=1
Mar 25 21:57:45 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 25 21:57:45 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Mar 25 21:57:46 A.QoS: qos_count=2, qos_check=1
Mar 25 21:57:49 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 25 21:57:49 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail

May 5 07:05:09 kernel: Broadcom IQoS v1.0 initialized

Mar 25 22:43:44 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=0
Mar 25 22:43:47 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 25 22:43:47 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Mar 25 22:43:48 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=1
Mar 25 22:43:52 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 25 22:43:52 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Mar 25 22:43:53 A.QoS: qos_count=1, qos_check=1
Mar 25 22:43:56 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 25 22:43:56 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Mar 25 22:43:58 A.QoS: qos_count=2, qos_check=1
Mar 25 22:44:01 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 25 22:44:01 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail

SEVERAL OF THESE:
May 5 07:05:09 kernel: request_irq failed for irq=30 (brcm_30) retval=-16

There doesn't seem to be whole lot of useful entries that have "err" or "error", "warning", "fail" mentioned somewhere in the line.

Here's log entries on mine from turning these features off then on again if it helps. I have a couple firesticks constantly streaming from the wifi and don't have any buffering or disconnects to note, but I do get endless wlceventd entries from something.

RT-AX58U
Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_8591-gaa2b2ae

After turning Ai Protection and Adaptive QOS off

Mar 28 12:06:58 rc_service: httpd 1434:notify_rc restart_wrs;restart_firewall
Mar 28 12:07:04 kernel: The For ALL DEVICES flag of Prof 1 has been set to ENABLE
Mar 28 12:07:04 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 83
Mar 28 12:07:05 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=0
Mar 28 12:07:08 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 28 12:07:08 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Mar 28 12:07:09 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=1
Mar 28 12:07:09 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 28 12:07:09 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Mar 28 12:07:10 A.QoS: qos_count=1, qos_check=1
Mar 28 12:07:10 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 28 12:07:10 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Mar 28 12:07:12 A.QoS: qos_count=2, qos_check=1
Mar 28 12:07:12 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 28 12:07:12 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Mar 28 12:07:12 modprobe: module ip6t_REJECT not found in modules.dep
Mar 28 12:07:12 modprobe: module ip6t_ROUTE not found in modules.dep
Mar 28 12:07:12 modprobe: module ip6t_LOG not found in modules.dep
Mar 28 12:07:12 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth4_eth4)
Mar 28 12:07:19 rc_service: httpd 1434:notify_rc restart_qos;restart_firewall
Mar 28 12:07:25 kernel: The For ALL DEVICES flag of Prof 1 has been set to ENABLE
Mar 28 12:07:25 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Mar 28 12:07:27 modprobe: module ip6t_REJECT not found in modules.dep
Mar 28 12:07:27 modprobe: module ip6t_ROUTE not found in modules.dep
Mar 28 12:07:27 modprobe: module ip6t_LOG not found in modules.dep
Mar 28 12:07:27 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth4_eth4)

After turning Ai Protection and Adaptive QOS back on

Mar 28 12:09:50 rc_service: httpd 1434:notify_rc restart_wrs;restart_firewall
Mar 28 12:09:51 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(464): eth6: Deauth_ind xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Mar 28 12:09:54 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(499): eth5: Auth xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)
Mar 28 12:09:54 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(527): eth5: Assoc xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)
Mar 28 12:09:54 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(481): eth6: Disassoc xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Mar 28 12:09:56 kernel: The For ALL DEVICES flag of Prof 1 has been set to ENABLE
Mar 28 12:09:56 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 43f
Mar 28 12:09:57 modprobe: module ip6t_REJECT not found in modules.dep
Mar 28 12:09:57 modprobe: module ip6t_ROUTE not found in modules.dep
Mar 28 12:09:57 modprobe: module ip6t_LOG not found in modules.dep
Mar 28 12:09:57 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth4_eth4)
Mar 28 12:10:00 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(499): eth6: Auth xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)
Mar 28 12:10:00 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(509): eth6: ReAssoc xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)
Mar 28 12:10:00 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(481): eth5: Disassoc xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Mar 28 12:10:00 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(481): eth5: Disassoc xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Mar 28 12:10:03 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(499): eth5: Auth xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)
Mar 28 12:10:03 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(509): eth5: ReAssoc xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)
Mar 28 12:10:03 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(481): eth6: Disassoc xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Mar 28 12:10:03 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(481): eth6: Disassoc xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8)
Mar 28 12:10:11 rc_service: httpd 1434:notify_rc restart_qos;restart_firewall
Mar 28 12:10:17 kernel: The For ALL DEVICES flag of Prof 1 has been set to ENABLE
Mar 28 12:10:17 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 4bf
Mar 28 12:10:17 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=1
Mar 28 12:10:20 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 28 12:10:20 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Mar 28 12:10:22 A.QoS: qos_count=0, qos_check=1
Mar 28 12:10:25 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 28 12:10:25 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Mar 28 12:10:26 A.QoS: qos_count=1, qos_check=1
Mar 28 12:10:29 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 28 12:10:29 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Mar 28 12:10:30 A.QoS: qos_count=2, qos_check=1
Mar 28 12:10:31 A.QoS: qos rule is less than 22
Mar 28 12:10:31 A.QoS: restart A.QoS because set_qos_conf / set_qos_on / setup rule fail
Mar 28 12:10:31 modprobe: module ip6t_REJECT not found in modules.dep
Mar 28 12:10:31 modprobe: module ip6t_ROUTE not found in modules.dep
Mar 28 12:10:31 modprobe: module ip6t_LOG not found in modules.dep
Mar 28 12:10:31 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth4_eth4)