What's new

enabling ethernet backhaul mode destroying internet speed/latency? (GT-AXE16000)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joneffingvo

Occasional Visitor
Hey Folks

Just received my two GT-AXE16000's and updated both to the latest firmware. Currently running them in a AI Mesh setup via Ethernet (cat 6) via 2.5 wan. The router detected second router/node and displays as it's connected via ethernet. However, if i go into "system settings" and enable "ethernet backhaul mode" all hell breaks loose and i go from 600-800 mbps download down to 20-70 mbps and coverage is super spotty constantly disconnecting.

Disabling "ethernet backhaul mode" brings everything back to normal and everything runs great? Super confused right now, but assuming since it's brand new its a bug?

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue.. Its very annoying and I've ben doing everything to fix it I don't want to do wireless backhaul

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue.. Its very annoying and I've ben doing everything to fix it I don't want to do wireless backhaul
So the weird thing is even tho "enable wired backhaul" isn't enabled it still is operating in wired backhaul mode, therefore it must be a bug. Good news is, I just stood in the corner of my backyard (6000 SQ lot) and was still getting 400+ mbps DL and 300+ UL. This thing is a BEAST

Tried disabling the Wired Backhaul option last night. It didn't work for me. Still getting slow upload speeds.

Attachments

• Backhaul disabled.PNG
    Backhaul disabled.PNG
    315.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Speedtests.PNG
    Speedtests.PNG
    146.6 KB · Views: 141
  • GT-AX6000.jpg
    GT-AX6000.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 137
  • GT-AXE11000.jpg
    GT-AXE11000.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 140
Do you have aiprotection enabled? Heard reports of it causing speed issues. Worth mentioning.

Did anyone report this yet to Asus? Clearly its a bug and Asus will provide a beta firmware if you report. BTW, I just ordered one as its back in stock at Asus.

I reported it to ASUS and provided a 24 hour log I ran. My fix for this was loading Merlin’s firmware and doing factory reset. Since then no issues

I reported it to ASUS and provided a 24 hour log I ran. My fix for this was loading Merlin’s firmware and doing factory reset. Since then no issues
Great! So wired backhaul issue is fixed in Merlin's firmware? How about 2.5G port speed on wan? Merlin mentioned that 10G ports dont get upto full bandwidth due to NAT/CPU limitations.

However, if i go into "system settings" and enable "ethernet backhaul mode" all hell breaks loose and i go from 600-800 mbps download down to 20-70 mbps and coverage is super spotty constantly disconnecting.

Sounds like an ARP storm - check the connections to the second device...