What's new

Enabling QoS lowers "quality" grade (but helps bufferbloat)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jay-aitch

New Around Here
Running an RT-N66U using the 374.43 forked firmware. When I run the speed test on dslreports, I get an A+ for Quality but an F for BufferBloat. Speeds for down/up are generally around 69/6.

So I enable QoS with down/up of 63/5. Re-run speed test and my BufferBloat increases to a C, at least. But Quality goes from A+ to C. The speed test help suggests this is due to having to packet loss. Why would it decrease? How can I fix this?

I think that depends on router model.. on my ac3100 qos only disables FA but leaves ctf enabled

I think that depends on router model.. on my ac3100 qos only disables FA but leaves ctf enabled

To expand.

AdaptiveQOS leaves ctf enabled
Traditional does not.

@jay-aitch is using traditional.

Could your router be too slow for the connector. You may be cpu limited.

Digging deep in the old memory banks here but I know my old N66U could do 125 Mbps on my comcast contention. I am fairly certain that CTF was enabled on my router. I don't remember if I ever tested it with NAT acceleration turned off.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!