What's new

Enabling Samba V1 V2 or both Causes 100% Cpu usage Merlin 384.15

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

osdieman

Occasional Visitor
Hi All..
Today i have upgraded My Router to Merlin 384.15 and as soon i enable samba server the cpu is gong crazy..

I have tried all 3 modes.. and also made sure no clients trying to connect... Also this happens with or without connected hard drive..

for now i have flashed the router with version 384.13 and all is working fine..

Are there other people having the same issue.. if yes maybe we can try to solve this..

Kind regards..

Did you update your RT-AC66U in your signature to 384.15_0? Seems not possible?

What and which version of firmware was running before? Was a full reset to factory defaults (M&M Config) performed after flashing the firmware you want to use?

How big is your USB drive? What format is it using?

H
Did you update your RT-AC66U in your signature to 384.15_0? Seems not possible?

What and which version of firmware was running before? Was a full reset to factory defaults (M&M Config) performed after flashing the firmware you want to use?

How big is your USB drive? What format is it using?

Hi Sorry i have to update my signature.. i am running a Asus RT-AC68U
I have one usb drive connected 8 GB this one is to get swap and Diversion to work
And i have a 1 TB usb3 drive connected .. this one has two partitions. one is for Data storage and the second partition is time machine..

When i updated to the latest firmware i did of course a Full reset and did all settings manually..

no matter what i do at the moment i enable samba sharing cpu go's 100%.
Then i decided to go back to version 384.13 and all is working perfectly fine..

Kind Regards..

@osdieman have you tested the new version (or even the latest Alpha) with more stock settings? What customizations and optional features do you use/enable? Have you checked the external drive(s) in a PC for errors and allowed them to be fixed? Did you 'Initialize all settings...' in addition to formatting the USB drive used for amtm? After installing 'clean' the scripts you want to use, do you reboot the router at least twice? Once after fifteen minutes or so and then once again after about an hour?

I don't think I've read of another person having the issues you're reporting? Must be something specific to your hardware and configuration. :)

@L&LD. I have not yet tried the alpha version.. as i wanted to stay on stable versions for now..
The USB tumbdrive is an 8 GB drive and yes formatted this one using amtm setup 2 partitions one for swap and one for diversion.
The hard drive connected to USB3 port i have not formatted again as i have a lot data on there...
About resetting this i did indeed more then twice but also with same outcome... As soon samba share is enabled cpu is going sky high ...
i don't have much special settings beside an openvpn client profile installed.. but this i did at the last moment when all was up and running again..
At this moment everything runs well on the 384.13_0 firmware.. Although i ad to set cloud flare domain and ip to get internet detection working.. ( router was connected and had internet while on the home page it said offline ) this problem is solved..

I also have setup AiMesh.. but i see no improvement in roaming.. In the old situation i have on router running in router mode and the second one in ap mode.. Both with the same network names 2.4/5ghz channel and wpa2 key.. then on both roaming assistant enabled.. this worked basically just fine... and i then was able to manage both routers.. now i cannot manage the Node router...

Anyway for now i am a happy user system seems to run stable...
Once i have tried a beta version i will report back..

Thank you so much for the help so far ...

Kind regards..

@osdieman, aside from the obvious (two USB drives attached to the router), the only other thing I notice is that you have your amtm/scripts USB drive set up a little differently. Any reason you have the swap on one partition and Diversion on the other? A swap partition is not recommended for amtm, rather, a swap file is.

I would be tempted to recreate the whole amtm/JFFS and USB drive from scratch. Even if I can't see how it would affect the CPU utilization when Samba is enabled. At least that would remove one variable from troubleshooting this further while you are on the latest firmware. :)

I just ran into the exact same problem with two good as identically set up RT-AC86Us in different households.
As u described 384.13 worked for me too, I just had problems with write access to my shares using created accounts (aside from admin).
That's how I finally figured out the underlying problem. The solution was too simple (in ssh):
Code:
chmod -R 777 /tmp/mnt
Edit: Unfortunately that didn't work for long, the issue came back leaving me no other way than downgrading to 384.13 again. I hope this can be fixed soon!
Edit2: Finally, I can confirm that a clean update to 386.7_2 fixes the issue! Thanks for this outstanding work on Merlin!

Last edited: