What's new

Energy Efficient Ethernet on AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CriticJay

Hi all,

I noticed in the System Log that on my RT-AC86U (firmware 45149) during bootup it says "Energy Efficient Ethernet: Enabled". However there's no UI control to disable this feature. I do have one wired ethernet switch which doesn't seem to play nicely with Energy Efficient Ethernet, based on my prior experience. Is there any way to disable it?

BTW I've noticed some other folks having problems with slow wired ethernet speeds on this router. Perhaps they also have devices which don't play well with Energy Efficient Ethernet! It might be useful if Asus introduced an option to disable that feature via the Web UI.

OK I'm definitely not the person to offer you a knowledgeable answer on this subject. I had to look it up. Didn't know what Energy Efficient Ethernet was. I just skimmed an article on Wikipedia so still don't know much about it. I do have a AC86U and I just rebooted it and I don't see anything in the system log about it being enabled. Afaik I have neither enabled or disabled it. Like you I can not find an option to do either. I just recently upgraded from an AC68U to the AC86U and I haven't noticed any major difference in wired ethernet speeds. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can give us both some more informatiom. I do see that you are on stock Asus firmware, I'm using Merlins 384.8.2 which is his latest stable release as far as I know. Don't know if that matters or not.

I noticed in the System Log that on my RT-AC86U (firmware 45149) during bootup it says "Energy Efficient Ethernet: Enabled". However there's no UI control to disable this feature. I do have one wired ethernet switch which doesn't seem to play nicely with Energy Efficient Ethernet, based on my prior experience. Is there any way to disable it?

Replace your switch - seriously - most switches over the last few years support EEE

BTW I've noticed some other folks having problems with slow wired ethernet speeds on this router. Perhaps they also have devices which don't play well with Energy Efficient Ethernet! It might be useful if Asus introduced an option to disable that feature via the Web UI.

Probably not... between the chipset vendor's validation of the BSP/SDK, and Asus' efforts on HW/SW verification and validation - EEE is likely not a big deal...

If it was, there would be an option to disable it...

Interesting. I wonder if this is what's affecting my Powerline adapters (one wired to the router, the other in a different room wired to devices).

I've had this issue for a while where I sometimes boot up a device wired to the Powerline adapter and it gives itself an APIPA address instead of getting one from the router's DHCP pool, no matter if it's automatically allocated or set to reserved.

My adapters are on the latest firmware and I've disabled their own power save mode, as I thought this was contributing to the problem.

If I power cycle the adapter at the device end, they then get their address from the router.

It happens frequently enough, that it's made the adapters pretty much useless.

It's been a year or so since I've had the app installed but I thought I remember seeing something about energy efficient or power saving in the Asus Android app.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!