What's new

Entering DNS servers - PC or router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BJ1200

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

The below image is where I enter two DNS servers in Win7. I use a Nameserver tool that shows me the fastest IP's to enter as DNS servers. Seems to make a little bit of a difference.
ipvl.jpg

During setup there was a place to enter two DNS servers. I skipped this because it required selecting (PPoE, PPTP, LPTP) which I am unfamiliar with. It's set to "Automatic IP" (see below). Should I change this drop-down? Is there a place in the router I should enter my two DNS servers? Or should I just do this at the PC level.
wans.jpg

The router is only used to feed internet to two PC's....for now.

Last edited:
The WAN connection type is based on your Internet connection. It will only work when set on the mode your ISP uses to feed you. So, if you are on a cablemodem that works in DHCP, you have no alternative but leave that to Automatic IP.

Look below for "Connect to DNS Server automatically". Set that to No, you will be able to provide your own DNS servers then.

A word of caution on those so-called "faster DNS": it's usually best to use your ISP's DNS instead of these. The reason is that your ISP's DNS are geographically closer to you, and they might contain different IP addresses for some sites such as Youtube or Akamai than what those other DNS servers have. You might get a faster resolution with the 3rd party DNS, but the lookup is a one-time thing that gets cached by your computer for a few hours anyway. If that DNS points you to a Youtube server that is 12 network hops away at the other end of the country while your own ISP's DNS points to a cache only 4-5 hops away from you, you will have much better streaming performance with that server.

Is this the legendary "Merlin" of router firmware? Thanks for all your dedication sir. I'm honored.

The top few fastest "Cached" DNS servers always end up as COX, my current ISP. I installed the new AC66 and new Moto SB6141 modem at same time. I can't remember why I even mess with this DNS stuff...it's been so long ago since I started. First time I've seen my router included at the top...interesting. Gosh I love this router.

Sorted by Cached Performance:
sortcached.jpg

Sorted by Uncached Performance:
sortuncached.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!