What's new

Entware install script suggestion - swap

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zd59

Regular Contributor
Asuswrt-merlin includes Entware install script in firmware
Code:
entware-setup.sh

Very soon after a couple of additional packages are installed some failed for no reason (log do not express any info). Posts on that forum do not offer any answers to that. :(
Accidentally I found a solution :) - swap file:
https://hqt.ro/transmission-on-asuswrt-routers-through-entware/
Down you can find:
SWAP FILE (Highly recommended)
If transmission crashes sometimes "without reason", most probably router goes out of memory...

And immediately I recall Netgear R7500 Entware install five years ago.
Very kind R7500 firmware enhancer Voxel written a manual for Entware install. Very first lines are regarding swap necessity and install.

So kindly asking the author of above mentioned entware-setup.sh to add a possibility of creating a swap file in that script - create, activate and adding /jffs/scripts to autoactivate/deactivate.

If you think, it is not so important to be included, at least add a few words regarding swap in a Entware install wiki https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Entware

The above will help many users dealing with Entware packages crashes.

Thank you.

Install entware via amtm/Diversion and you get the option to install a swap file (amongst other things)

I already installed it.
My point is to help others to avoid problems I had.
And you writing mysteries for ordinary users. When mentioned amtm/Diversion, you could be so kind to point to (link) or explain, what's this.
I followed Wiki to install Entware, as it's official manual for Asuswrt-merlin not searching for alternatives.

Regards.

I already installed it.
And you writing mysteries for ordinary users. When mentioned amtm/Diversion, you could be so kind to point to (link) or explain, what's this.
I followed Wiki to install Entware, as it's official manual for Asuswrt-merlin not searching for alternatives.

Regards.
Links added. For info, a quick forum search for amtm returns the relevant thread

Last edited:
Thanks.

Will look into, when searching for additional functionality of my router.

The wiki may be the official way but it does not mean it is the best way.
amtm (and Diversion) install Entware in a way that it starts up at every reboot/boot, guaranteed. Exceptions are corrupted or defective USB device of course.

After a few issues with Entware on Asus, almost all were solved.
Firmware install script installs Entware from packages as they are. This is wrong. The main problem with install Entware on Asuswrt-merlin is administrator user name. Entware packages are configured with "root" as administrator, but Asus RT-AC86U have "admin" as administrator. So all packages from Entware that have config files with root named, should be corrected to name admin. I needed a few days to convince dbus service from Entware not to fail. So finally Samba 4 run correctly.:)

Regarding amtm and Entware install: does it deal with above?
If not, script from firmware is sufficient, and issue have to solved by hand. :( And I do not see any benefit using amtm just for Entware installation. I prefer minimalism, especially on a low resources hardware. So as minimal software installations as possible.

Waiting for response - oppose and defend my last two sentences.

... If not, script from firmware is sufficient, and issue have to solved by hand. :( And I do not see any benefit using amtm just for Entware installation. I prefer minimalism, especially on a low resources hardware. So as minimal software installations as possible.

Waiting for response - oppose and defend my last two sentences.

Could you spare a few seconds of your time to read the first two sentences here?

After a few issues with Entware on Asus, almost all were solved.
Firmware install script installs Entware from packages as they are. This is wrong. The main problem with install Entware on Asuswrt-merlin is administrator user name. Entware packages are configured with "root" as administrator, but Asus RT-AC86U have "admin" as administrator. So all packages from Entware that have config files with root named, should be corrected to name admin. I needed a few days to convince dbus service from Entware not to fail. So finally Samba 4 run correctly.:)
It appears you have found an Asuswrt-Merlin specific Entware problem. Take the time and report it to the Entware maintainers on their GitHub repository.

As for the amtm Entware installer, amtm is much more than you think and adds practically nil as overhead to your router as it only runs when called.
Users agree: It's the most handiest tool one can install on a router running Asuswrt-Merlin :D
But to each their own. I don't force anyone to use my scripts.

Thank you thelonelycoder.

Quick search into your amtm script - root/admin Asuswrt-Merlin specific Entware problem is not addressed.
So hand work is necessary (as I assume in post #9) for solving.

As I expected amtm do not address the issue, so why you suggested the above?

Because your last 2 sentences were
I prefer minimalism, especially on a low resources hardware. So as minimal software installations as possible.

and amtm is, as described above and its website, a shortcut manager that adds practically nil as overhead to your router as it only runs when called.