What's new

Entware missing after reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is your USB drive mounted and the post_mount script setting up the symbolic link to your install dir on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your USB drive mounted and the post_mount script setting up the symbolic link to your install dir on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to 'hijack' OPs topic, but could you post a link or code to do this, basically auto-mount the USB with entware on it, as the same for me it does not survive a reboot.

I followed https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Entware to setup entware, but I found after several reboot opkg cannot be used.
Anyone knows what's the problem?

For my Entware install I use (assuming that $1 is the correct disk)

/jffs/scripts/post-mount

Code:
logger -st "($(basename $0))" $$ "Mounting Entware '"$1"/entware' on '/tmp/opt'....."
ln -nsf $1/entware /tmp/opt

You can verify the install
Code:
cd /opt

set | grep -E "^PATH.*/opt"

and sometimes the PATH does not contain references to '/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:' so I manually issue the 'export' command to add the missing PATH entries to the start of the existing PATH.

Last edited:
If you followed the guide in the original post, and you're seeing "Could not start Entware" after reboot in your system log, the problem is likely the timeout is too short in the wait loop in /jffs/scripts/services-start. This is an old problem associated with the original Entware installation architecture. The simplest solution is to extend the wait loop a bit longer by changing the line 'i=30' to something like 'i-60.'

An alternative installation which completely solves that problem is to eliminate 'services-start' altogether and move the Entware start to the post-mount script. I talk about that solution in my Wiki article
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/USB-Disk-Check-at-Boot
under the section "Gotchas / Extended Boot Time". The discussion there applies to Entware in general, even if you have no interest in the 'disk check at boot'. It has some caveats though, so please read the entire section and ensure you're good with all aspects. I've been running with that installation method for nearly a year and it's never missed a beat.

Note, all the above will only address your reboot issue if you are indeed seeing the "Could not start Entware" message in your log. If that's not there, this isn't your current problem. Hopefully still helpful though.

Last edited:
Another reason why Entware may not start at boot is if your partition has no label.
This is the case if your /jffs/scripts/post-mount file contains an entry like this:
Code:
if [ "$1" = "/tmp/mnt/sda1" ];then
or /tmp/mnt/sdb1
The disk manager mounts these partitions with first come, first serve priority. If you have two partitions the can be named sda1 or sdb1 interchangeably.
Label the partitions and that problem disappears.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!