What's new

Entware torrent clients (all of them) - corrupted downloads?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SavantPenguin

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

first time poster on the only forum discussion asuswrt software I can find. I am running the merlin modification of 384.5 with an ext2 HDD with the last entware installed.

Whenever I use it to download torrents the final download is always corrupted. Rechecking with qBitTorrent on my desktop usually results in about 20% of the torrent failing the hash check.

Some of the troubleshooting I've tried:
1. transmission and deluge - same result. rTorrent just crashes.
2. HDD or USB stick - same result.
3. Transfer files over FTP or Samba - same result.
4. Multiple factory resets - same result.

The only idea I have left is that the router itself might be giving up the ghost, but it otherwise never crashes and is rock stable. I'd expect other issues if the RAM is failing.

Has anyone ever encountered this or heard of it? I am at my wits end and am thinking of buying a synology unit to handle my data.

first time poster on the only forum discussion asuswrt software I can find. I am running the merlin modification of 384.5 with an ext2 HDD with the last entware installed.

Whenever I use it to download torrents the final download is always corrupted. Rechecking with qBitTorrent on my desktop usually results in about 20% of the torrent failing the hash check.
I had the same issues and overcome it by: using an ext3 or ext4 formatted hard drive and not crashing the router anymore - always shut down the Torrent client first before reboot or power off! :rolleyes:

Still from time to time I do a file system check of my USB devices (on an Linux PC) to make sure that the files are good. And surprisingly there are always things to repair... :eek:

I had the same issues and overcome it by: using an ext3 or ext4 formatted hard drive and not crashing the router anymore - always shut down the Torrent client first before reboot or power off! :rolleyes:

Still from time to time I do a file system check of my USB devices (on an Linux PC) to make sure that the files are good. And surprisingly there are always things to repair... :eek:
Thanks for the suggesion. I did not shutdown the client at any point - this is just for straightforward 10min 2gb files. The router does not crash - it's only rtorrent. Transmission works fine and deluge does as well as long as I have a swap file.

I'm formatting the drive to ext4 now and will try it.

First thought is file system corruption on the storage drive.

back up the drive, reformat w/ext3 (or ext4), and give it a try again.

First thought is file system corruption on the storage drive.

back up the drive, reformat w/ext3 (or ext4), and give it a try again.
Just tried it with a freshly formatted ext4 drive. Still get checksum errors on extracting the rars.

I'll try a different torrent, but all of these work fine on my desktop client.

I'll try a different torrent, but all of these work fine on my desktop client.

Please try the torrent I recommended above - the Ubuntu 18.04 ISO...

This is an odd problem - if this is a very large segmented RAR file, then it might be that the RAR segments themselves are corrupt, or the WinRAR is old (there was an issue way back when).

Keep in mind that each block of a torrent is hashed out, and if the hash is wrong, the block is discarded...

This is an odd problem - if this is a very large segmented RAR file, then it might be that the RAR segments themselves are corrupt, or the WinRAR is old (there was an issue way back when).

Keep in mind that each block of a torrent is hashed out, and if the hash is wrong, the block is discarded...
It happens with the Ubuntu iso. I know about the hashing, which is why I find it insane. Deluge on desktop downloads it fine obviously. I guess the only other possible weak link could be when I am using WiFi to transfer the file. I will check tomorrow if the file on the disk might be in tact.

You know what - this is really messing with me.

I have attached the drive to windows with a ext2fsd and the rar files are not corrupt at all. Extracts perfectly.

However, for some reason when I FTP them over from the router they get corrupted in the process. Samba is also not great. I guess the next step will be to troubleshoot wired vs WiFi and if my Netgear WiFi stick is somehow incompatible. This is pretty special stuff :( .

EDIT: Ok, used Samba to copy the file to my mac and the rar file is corrupted. So it's not windows, nor is it that specific PC. I will try a wired connection tomorrow.
EDIT2: Yep wired connection gives the same corrupted result.
EDIT3: USB2 or USB3 give the same result

Hm - does this mean that ext2/3/4 might be the wrong file system to have on a shared network drive? Do you guys run NTFS?

Last edited:
I have attached the drive to windows with a ext2fsd and the rar files are not corrupt at all. Extracts perfectly.

So the client itself works fine when doing the torrent stuff - this is good, it's not the torrent client

However, for some reason when I FTP them over from the router they get corrupted in the process. Samba is also not great. I guess the next step will be to troubleshoot wired vs WiFi and if my Netgear WiFi stick is somehow incompatible. This is pretty special stuff :( .

This suggests driver issues with the PC - does this also happen if you're cabled up?

<snip>

Hm - does this mean that ext2/3/4 might be the wrong file system to have on a shared network drive? Do you guys run NTFS?

Not really, looks like your WiFi driver/adapter perhaps - not the FS supported on the router, nor the application running on the router.

Not really, looks like your WiFi driver/adapter perhaps - not the FS supported on the router, nor the application running on the router.

Well I have tried a wired connection and the result is the same. I have tried a PC and a MacBook - same result. The only common point is the router currently. I will have to see if a different firmware gives a better result.

EDIT: on further research, with stock firmware same issues.
On even further research - even on copying between computers on the same network and FTP over the internet, I get CRC issues. I think this is probably a dead router now. Shame

Thanks for the help and for pointing me in the right direction. I guess it will be time to upgrade to an AC-86U in the near future.

Last edited:
Well I have tried a wired connection and the result is the same. I have tried a PC and a MacBook - same result. The only common point is the router currently. I will have to see if a different firmware gives a better result.

EDIT: on further research, with stock firmware same issues.
On even further research - even on copying between computers on the same network and FTP over the internet, I get CRC issues. I think this is probably a dead router now. Shame

Thanks for the help and for pointing me in the right direction. I guess it will be time to upgrade to an AC-86U in the near future.
Are you sure your ftp is using binary mode? I've had some issues before where the default was ASCII. Maybe the server and client aren't negotiating it correctly. So I habitually execute the 'binary' command.

Are you sure your ftp is using binary mode? I've had some issues before where the default was ASCII. Maybe the server and client aren't negotiating it correctly. So I habitually execute the 'binary' command.

Yeah it is. I was worried about that as well, but even with samba shares the issue is exactly the same :-/ .

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!