What's new

Error message Asuswrt-Merlin firmware ASUS RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bradleyinboulder

New Around Here
I just tried uploading the latest Asuswrt-Merlin firmware for the ASUS RT-AC5300.

The error message I received was...

router.asus.com says...
File format or path is invalid!

I've been updating my older routers for years just fine.
Does anyone have a solution to this?

I tried uploading the latest version, the version before that, and the beta version. Same error all three times.

Sometimes that happens when download is done wirelessly. You could download the file into a folder and then manually upload it to the router via Ethernet cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hard-wired into the router. But I will take your advice and connect a laptap to the router with a cable and see if that helps. thank you

Make sure you have an RT-AC5300 and not a GT-AC5300 - completely different devices.

Also don't forget to unzip it first.

I tried a hard wired connection with a laptop connected to the router this morning. Same problem.
router.asus.com says...
File format or path is invalid!
I'm beginning to believe those files are corrupted.
Any other ideas?
It's never been this difficult to upgrade firmware.

That's above my pay grade.
No clue how to do that.
At this point I've raised the white flag.
I'll stick with the firmware from ASUS.
At least it works and I can install it.
Appreciate everyone time.

Macintosh

Even better. My Mac is currently waiting for a harddisk transplant so I can't provide any screenshots, but here we go.
Open a terminal window and browse to the folder where you extracted the contents of the downloaded zip file.

Execute
Code:
shasum -a 256 <filename>
replacing <filename> with the exact filename of the firmware file (use Tab to autocomplete).

It will output a string. Copy it (no spaces, just the string) and compare it to the contents of the file sha256sum.sha256 in the same directory. You can open this file with a text editor. It will contain another string, which should be identical. I use the find function, paste the copied string from the step before in the search for field and if it's identical, the string in the file will be highlighted.

If the string is not identical, it means your file failed the checksum, and you should download again.

Edit: corrected syntax

Last edited by a moderator: