What's new

Error Message On RT-AC87U Log-in Screen

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phil Muir

New Around Here
Hi all!

Firstly want to thank Eric for the great firmware for these routers. It was all working great and I was running RT-AC87U_378.56_2.

However, noticed yesterday that my 2.4Ghz network had disappeared so, tried logging in as usual at:

http://192.168.1.1/

That’s when I saw the following error message on the RT-AC87U Log-in Screen:

“Note: the router you are using is not an ASUS device or has not been authorised by ASUS. ASUSWRT might not work properly on this device.”

Noticed that the log-in screen was grade out. So I Tried Factory resetting the router however, it isn't completely clearing everything as this message is still there :-( Can initially log-in but once logged out after first time set-up the log-in screen is grade out again and this message is still there.

Tried installing earlier ASUS firmware via the web interface and using ASUS firmware tool to install different firmware and although I can install firmware in recovery mode or in the web interface, I cannot clear the error message or stop the log-in screen from going grade out.

I can get back into the router once by Resetting the router to factory defaults with the switch on the back but message is still there. Also, 2.4Ghz channel is set to auto even on 20Mhz and at channel 0. Can't change channel from auto on 2.4Ghz. Not sure what else to try 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is part of Asus' recent security measures they added to prevent people from running Asus's firmware on non-Asus router. I don't know the details on how these checks are made (it's closed source for obvious reasons), but based on one experience I encountered myself a few weeks ago, I suspect that if for some reason a driver fails to load, it will trigger that warning. So my guess is your 2.4 GHz radio died, and as the router fails to load its driver, it incorrectly assumes that your router isn't a genuine Asus router.

I would recommend having it replaced under warranty.

Hey Eric. Thanks for the reply! WOW! Just had this router a couple of weeks. Is it normal for the 2.4Ghz radio to die so quickly? Unbelievable! Am assuming that the issue isn’t Merlin related as your firmware was working great! Had wondered if someone had tried to hack the router but now thinking that your explanation seems more reasonable :-( Sounds like replacement is the only option :-(

Hey Eric. Thanks for the reply! WOW! Just had this router a couple of weeks. Is it normal for the 2.4Ghz radio to die so quickly

It's very uncommon. But in electronics, things have a tendency to either die early, or die late (failure rates over time tend to be bathtub-shaped).

Cheers for that Eric :) Shall talk to Asus tomorrow. Here was me thinking that there was something wrong with the factory reset procedure. Sounds like if all was well hardware wise then, I would have been able to do that and had 0 issues and that error message would have disappeared :)

Just had the same issue on two RT-AC87R's, seems unlikely that the 2.4Ghz radio would fail exactly at the same time on both units...

Just had the same issue on two RT-AC87R's, seems unlikely that the 2.4Ghz radio would fail exactly at the same time on both units...
Not so sure about that. It could be that there could be a faulty batch. Anyway, got mine refunded and found a slightly cheaper price and purchased it. So far so good :)

Not so sure about that. It could be that there could be a faulty batch. Anyway, got mine refunded and found a slightly cheaper price and purchased it. So far so good :)
Glad that the replacement hardware worked out for you. Luckily for me a factory reset and a flash with stock firmware fixed it, I am now able to logon via the web interface and 2Ghz radio is back.

Glad that the replacement hardware worked out for you. Luckily for me a factory reset and a flash with stock firmware fixed it, I am now able to logon via the web interface and 2Ghz radio is back.
Yup, tried stock firmware and various versions of that and factory resets etc however, nun of that worked. Don't think the Merlin firmware would cause these kind of issues. Fairly certain it wouldn't as was running with it for over 3 weeks before I lost the 2.4Ghz radio.

there is of course a way around it. you can log in by looking at the source for the page and removing the "disabled" tags form the username and password box.
Mine worked, Im now logged in after getting this message.
Also going back to stock for now as i am on RMerlin's firmware

Hopefully you can get around this.
Here are the items to be changed:
<input type="text" id="login_username" name="login_username" tabindex="1" class="form_input" maxlength="20" autocapitalization="off" autocomplete="off" placeholder="Username" disabled="">

<input type="password" name="login_passwd" tabindex="2" class="form_input" maxlength="16" placeholder="Password" autocapitalization="off" autocomplete="off" disabled="">

<div class="button" onclick="login();" style="display: none;">Sign in</div>

In crome Press F12, go to Elements tab. search for "login_username" for example, (taken from above snips) to find the lines.
There are 3 seperate lines to change. Delete the boldened words completely.

Last edited:
dividebyzer0 you are my hero.
Just had the same issue on my RT-N66U after changing my 5GHz channel. Was able to login and change the setting back, now everything is okay.