What's new

Establishing a standard broadband performance test

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smokindog

Wasn't sure where to post this so please move if appropriate.

I recently received an email from my ISP asking if I wanted to participate in a performance measurement/test program. I thought, what the heck, so I signed up.

Anyone have any further details? Any warnings or other pearls of wisdom?

I figured there's nothing they can take from me that the don't already have access to :)

We're working with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and SamKnows to optimize your connection performance and improve your online experience to establish a standard broadband performance test. We need your help to make the test as comprehensive and accurate as possible.

This test covers multiple aspects of an Internet connection, from the speed of downloading a large file to the quality of video streaming. The project's purpose is to provide more information about your broadband performance, so you can get the most out of your service.

The FCC is looking for volunteers to help in the project. If you're interested in participating, please visit the FCC sign-up page here. If selected, you will be sent a new TP-Link router enabled with the SamKnows performance measurement software.

Please know that the software measures only the performance of your Internet connection. Your personal information will be strictly protected and at no time will any personal information be shared or made available without your consent.

'No thank you' is the right response to ISP's you don't wholly own. :)

Just like Dracula, they need to be invited inside your home to feed. :)

'No thank you' is the right response to ISP's you don't wholly own. :)

Just like Dracula, they need to be invited inside your home to feed. :)

ACTUALLY they're already in. At least FIOS (Frontier/Verizon). They have complete control of your router/modem/ONT and aren't afraid to use it. It's one reason I double NAT (not that that really stops most things!).

Yes, you can have them change the interface at the ONT from MOCA to Ethernet and eliminate the router/"modem" but that also does very little from stopping them from "monitoring" IMO

Seriously, can you be specific as to what concerns you've got? I' more interested in the free TP-LINK box to play with :)

ACTUALLY they're already in. At least FIOS (Frontier/Verizon). They have complete control of your router/modem/ONT and aren't afraid to use it. It's one reason I double NAT (not that that really stops most things!).

Yes, you can have them change the interface at the ONT from MOCA to Ethernet and eliminate the router/"modem" but that also does very little from stopping them from "monitoring" IMO

Seriously, can you be specific as to what concerns you've got? I' more interested in the free TP-LINK box to play with :)

They're only 'in' as far as you let them (up to your wholly owned/controlled router, bought from a third party).

Even then, 384.12 gives you many options to bypass most things ISP's track, even then. :)

They could offer a box of free RT-AX88U's to me, the answer is still no. :)

Don't take the 'free' candy kids! :)

I would definitely take them up on moving from Moca to Ethernet though. ;)

They're only 'in' as far as you let them (up to your wholly owned/controlled router, bought from a third party).

Even then, 384.12 gives you many options to bypass most things ISP's track, even then. :)

They could offer a box of free RT-AX88U's to me, the answer is still no. :)

Don't take the 'free' candy kids! :)

I would definitely take them up on moving from Moca to Ethernet though. ;)

I own my FIOS quantum router (I'm now Frontier though). They still can manipulate any setting on it they choose.

As to MOCA, I"m at 100/100 and MOCA still is sufficient. I do have cat5E down to the ONT from my wiring closet but I use that run for an outdoor AP when we've got a crowd in the "back 40". :)

Also, I've got a couple MOCA extenders that get me to places with cable but no CAT5E and can leverage the existing MOCA on the router to "simplify" things. Ya, it would be an easy fix but ... Bottom line is I've learned to not ask Frontier to make ANY changes unless absolutely necessary. Multi-day to multi-week outages are not unheard of once they screw up the provisioning!

I'm interested in the "standardized measurement" stuff and if they contact me back as "selected" I'll want to read all the T's and C's and get more info on the project.

I own my FIOS quantum router (I'm now Frontier though). They still can manipulate any setting on it they choose.

As to MOCA, I"m at 100/100 and MOCA still is sufficient. I do have cat5E down to the ONT from my wiring closet but I use that run for an outdoor AP when we've got a crowd in the "back 40". :)

Also, I've got a couple MOCA extenders that get me to places with cable but no CAT5E and can leverage the existing MOCA on the router to "simplify" things. Ya, it would be an easy fix but ... Bottom line is I've learned to not ask Frontier to make ANY changes unless absolutely necessary. Multi-day to multi-week outages are not unheard of once they screw up the provisioning!

I'm interested in the "standardized measurement" stuff and if they contact me back as "selected" I'll want to read all the T's and C's and get more info on the project.

I see it may be the best option right now for you. :)

But... a 'FIOS' quantum router is by definition not a third party router. ;)

When the ISP comes and makes the initial connection (or repairs) to the customers home, I let them have full access to the networking equipment when they're there (if I'm there too, of course). As soon as they walk out the door, every single password and configuration option is changed that they 'might' have had access to. Major settings I use for these service calls are wholly different than what the network is normally set to. :

Not 'performance' settings. I'm talking about security settings here. ;)

And, I'm even more paranoid than that at my own home and my network with my ISP. ;)

I'm there with you and the only way to get to the point with FIOS is to convert the ONT to Ethernet. Even changing the passwords, .. on the Quantum router doesn't restrict their access. So long as you've got their router (owned or leased) they consider it part of their network and have a backdoor.

If you recall a while back a lot of ISPs were trying to build up a "public WiFi" footprint. They were actually lighting up the WiFi on the routers and setting up public SSIDs. I grounded out the antennae!!!!

Also, if you're a telco guy you know about NFV (network function virtualization) to push things closer to the edge. I worked with vendors to include functions in SOHO routers. It's not a dead horse!!!!

Funny this came up because I'm involved in another thread elsewhere on the horrors of Google and Chrome :)

I see it may be the best option right now for you. :)

But... a 'FIOS' quantum router is by definition not a third party router. ;)

When the ISP comes and makes the initial connection (or repairs) to the customers home, I let them have full access to the networking equipment when they're there (if I'm there too, of course). As soon as they walk out the door, every single password and configuration option is changed that they 'might' have had access to. Major settings I use for these service calls are wholly different than what the network is normally set to. :

Not 'performance' settings. I'm talking about security settings here. ;)

And, I'm even more paranoid than that at my own home and my network with my ISP. ;)

In case you're interested here's some background on the origins of SamKnows. IMHO they provided a very valuable service in the UK by publicly exposing the "actual" internet speeds customers were receiving rather the "up to" speeds advertised by the ISPs.

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/

The SamKnows device is probably not something of interest to people running their own routers. But for your average consumer that just plugs in his ISP-supplied router and turns it on, this can provide information to hold ISPs to account.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!