What's new

Ethernet Backhaul Mode. Increased WiFi speed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KGB7

Very Senior Member
After many hours and weeks trying to improve WIFI speed, on my AC68U router. I have discovered, by enabling “Ethernet Backhaul Mode” in AiMesh settings, I was able to gain additional 100Mbps via WiFi on 5Ghz band.

My WiFi speed went from average 320Mbps to 420Mbps. At times I see close to 430Mbps. I don’t use AiMesh, I have no other AiMesh routers/APs connected to my AC68U router.

Router AC68U, firmware: Merlin 386_7.2

I haven't tested the benefits on a 2.4Ghz band, simply because only a printer uses a 2.4G band in my home.

So with no AiMesh setup on a single AC68U you have enabled "Ethernet Backhaul Mode" in AiMesh settings and it resulted in Wi-Fi speed improvement?

So with no AiMesh setup on a single AC68U you have enabled "Ethernet Backhaul Mode" in AiMesh settings and it resulted in Wi-Fi speed improvement?

That's what I read... interesting.

Enabling Ethernet Backhaul Mode is another way of saying, 'disable all wireless backhauls', which presumably releases all WiFi for client use only and in this case, improves wireless client connection to a standalone router(?)

OE

With no wireless backhaul present/active and if true - this is a firmware bug. I don't have AC68U at the moment to test it.

Should we all try this on any model of ASUS router? Never thought to touch any AIMesh setting as I dont use it. Would then toggling this AIMesh setting on ,, toggle on other AIMesh things...that I dont use.

It may find a node you don't know about. You never know how far Asus got with Ai things. :)

Should we all try this on any model of ASUS router? Never thought to touch any AIMesh setting as I dont use it. Would then toggling this AIMesh setting on ,, toggle on other AIMesh things...that I dont use.

If your wireless clients are getting expected/adequate connection performance, I would not chase this issue where it may not exist.

OE

Last edited:
Does it affect latency and CPU usage too?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!